Axolotl Black young

toby tyke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time breeding blacks i know the female has some gold in her but do not know anything about the males genetics the young started off 80% black but are changing more to a browny grey as they get to the point where the back legs start to form is this usual or is the gold in her starting to show

First time breeding blacks i know the female has some gold in her but do not know anything about the males genetics the young started off 80% black but are changing more to a browny grey as they get to the point where the back legs start to form is this usual or is the gold in her starting to show

When you say black are you talking about melanoid or just dark wild type? If your female 'has some gold in her' then she's probably a wild type. In that case expect a majority of wild types.

Are you positive its a melanoid male and female?

A melanoid will have more melanophores(dark pigment) and reduced xanthophores (yellow pigment) but will have NO iridophores (shiny pigment)

If your female has some shiny gold then she's just a dark wild type and not a melanoid.

Its possible that the female carries the melanoid gene but from what you are saying it appears like you have a batch of wild type axolotls.

You should post pictures of the parents and the offspring.

im asking about a melanoid and the thing is the changing of colour from jet black to a browny grey over a period of a few days

Axolotls can change color slightly. Melanoids can get lighter or darker depending on activity and surroundings but its not really dramatic. Wild types are the same.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back