Axolotls Completely Nocturnal

NadeZ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had axolotls in smaller tanks where they are constantly swimming about, and the ones in my 3ft still do. But since moving 3 of my axolotls into a 4ft tank, they rarely leave the hides unless the room is pitch black. I'll turn the light on and they'll be all over the tank and then hide within minutes. How can I get them to come out when it isn't dark?

maybe your light is too bright or they don't like the angle from which the light goes into their eyes?

Axolotls are more active at late evening to early morning. Light does bother them and if the tank is not shaded enough they will constantly be hiding. Also, quickly turning on the light can startle them. Can you post pictures of the tank with the lights on?

erurynen.jpg

It's not the dimmest the tank could be, but definitely shouldn't be stressing them. They were fine in a similar amount of lighting in other tanks. And there are plenty of hides, but they just won't leave them. It's making it very difficult to feed them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe you can try having the lights off for two days. This shouldn't bother the plants too much and you can see if the light was what was stressing them.

It seems a little bright just because the only shaded areas I see are the hides. There doesn't look like enough plants to give them that safe feeling. Maybe getting a few floating plants or remove the cave hides and create a sort of shelf? that would keep them comfortable but also allow you to see them.

My guess is that the light is too bright
if you want to keep the light I would suggest making or obtaining hides that are open on the ends so you can still see them
Caves make it hard to view them and hard to feed them
Like Boomsloth said floating plants might help too
I had a java fern send off some new groth shoots and I clipped those off and they now float in the top of the tank
I find the axolotls taking turns hiding out in them, and theyre all constantly either under the plant or under the rocks I have for hides
Here is a pic of my tank to give you some ideas and a link to a large version of the pic:
imgur: the simple image sharer
kNSkoeZl.jpg

Ive rearranged the rocks since then and each of them lotls now has their own little rock to hide under :p

The light is at the very back of the tank, with a hood covering the front 70%. So only the back 30% is brightened by the light. But even with it off, they never come out if the room light is on. I've not had much lucky with floating plants before but im currently trying to grow straight Vallis up the back of the tank to loom over the top. Not sure how successful it will be as the lighting is pretty poor for plants

My main worry is my leucystiic that is coming up to her first birthday. For the last week she has shied away from every worm I present her. She has had on of her gills chopped (bitten?) off, possibly by one of the younger axies so this may have caused her to be more cautious. She hasn't eat in at least 5 days and ignores pellets too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back