Question: What colour will the axolotl babies be?

KardeAxol

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Kar
I don´t know that much about breeding or genetics but, what colours would these axolotl produce?

Melanoid male with wild type female

Melanoid male with axanthic female

I don´t know that much about breeding or genetics but, what colours would these axolotl produce?

Melanoid male with wild type female

Melanoid male with axanthic female

Its hard to predict the offspring without knowing the family history of each parent.

Assuming that the only melanoid has no other recessive genes:
If the wild type female is a carrier of the melanoid gene then about 50% will be melanoid and 50% wild type.
If she is not a carrier then 100% will be wild type.

If the axanthic female carries the melanoid gene then its possible to have melanoid babies, but if it only has the recessive axanthic gene then 100% will be wild type.

Its also possible either parent will have other recessive genes that can result in more possibilities but you won't know unless you look at the grandparents.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back