Saskia is getting black toes!

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cyn
Saskia has one black toe! I understand this means reaching maturity but I don't know whether to be happy or sad that my baby is growing up!

They grow so fast! Actually though, the theory that they get black toes when they reach maturity is a bit of a myth.

Really? So what is the most logical reason? But myth or not it is the most cutest black toe ever! :D
She's 6.5 inches now and closing in on 6 months old.
Sage is a month younger and is 6.5 inches now too! No idea how he caught up so fast. lol

I don't know if there is a reason for their darkened toes. However they seem to get dark toes well before they reach maturity. It is very very cute though :)

My golden albino Jack was the smaller of my two but he is now larger than my Wildtype Hector (although there is not a lot of difference in size). It is funny how some grow faster than others.

My 10 week old albinos have dark toe tips :).

My lil Zion is getting the dark toe tips, but he (or she) is no where near maturity. So yea I'd say that's a myth, but I wonder why they do get them?

Hunh. I was told when I got mine that the black toes meant sexual maturity as well.

I have noticed that if they lose a toe and it grows back, it takes a while for the black tip to develop.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened for no real reason - its not like leucistic and albino axolotls were ever common in the wild in numbers high enough for there to be some sort of natural selection based on black toes or not black toes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back