Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Age / Gender / Colour?

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to Caudata. Sorry if ive posted in the wrong forum!
3 weeks ago i got 2 new axies from a pet shop, not in the greatest condition and the pet shop didnt seem to know much about them. He didnt know how old they are, he seemed to believe one is male and one is female but doesnt know which is which.
These are not the greatest pictures, i can try and take more. They are both about 15cm long, albino is slightly smaller. Darker one has a chunkier head/body. The albino has darker toes.
Has anyone any idea maybe a rough age of them? Any idea of gender? Or is it too early to tell? Also is the darker one a wildtype or melanoid? Not to great on colours. Any suggestions would be appreciated :rolleyes:
image.jpg

HayleyK

Reaction score
Looks like a golden albino, and a wildtype.

Wildtypes have golden spots and golden rings in the eyes.

As for age it's too hard to tell since axolotls grow at different rates, I bought my 1.5-2" axolotls and their siblings were already 10cm.

They both look female to me :)

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply :happy: They both look like females to me as well at the moment. I know males can sometimes be late bloomers its so difficult to know when i dont know how old they are:crazy:

Sweetie

Reaction score
I actually think the albino could be a male. He looks very much like my albino at the same stage, and he has definitely turned out to be male. There does seem to be a slight but definite bulge of the cloaca.

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
I actually think the albino could be a male. He looks very much like my albino at the same stage, and he has definitely turned out to be male. There does seem to be a slight but definite bulge of the cloaca.

It does depend on what angle i look at it but it definately looks a different shape than the darker one. But then i dont know whether its just because its lighter it stands out more. His head and body shape also is similiar to previous males. Only time will tell i guess :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1