Moving from the west coast to the east

axieglower

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Angel
Hello!
I have several axolotls, I just got a job across country, I'm worried about moving our axis. It wasn't to bad moving from our apartment to a home but we will be in the car for approx. 3-4 days. How should I transport them? I don't want them to be stressed. anyone else moved with axis on a long trip? any advise?

Maybe get an insulated cooler? I got my juveniles in a insulated box. Since your car will probably be air conditioned they should be okay. Probably get a bucket with a lid and fill it halfway so they have some air. Then if possible open it up or perform a water change for them. they will be stressed but should live.

I agree. I would pack them in tubs in a cooler. Keep them cool and dark to minimize stress. The colder they are the less waste they will produce during the trip. You might want to bring water from home for water changes, but I'm not sure how practical that would be. Maybe you could acclimate them to spring water from someplace like Walmart so you could keep the same water over the course of your trip. Good luck!

Bring them to a friends place and have your friend take care of them in a big bucket with a water change every day then have your friend mail them to you overnight once you are where you're going!

Keep in mind that when you re set up your tank you will most likely be starting your cycle again since you can not keep bacteria alive that long without your filter running.

Agree get an esky and a large container for water changes every day for them.

Keep in mind that when you re set up your tank you will most likely be starting your cycle again since you can not keep bacteria alive that long without your filter running.

Agree get an esky and a large container for water changes every day for them.

Its possible but any travel almost always results in a minicycle. If she gets a bucket with a lid and places all the filter media into it with tank water and a few axolotl turds it should last a few days. Then she can set it up and not have to wait the full cycle period. But water should still be tested after that point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back