Can i keep newt in a 3 gallon tank?

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
Hi folks,

just a question. can i keep a single newt in a 3gallon tank?
example a firebelly newt.

dimensions LxBxH = 31x17x21cm

thanks

Simple answer: no.
Most newts/sals need a minimum if 10 gallons.

Yah, 10 gallons is definitely the best. One of the reasons why 10 gallons is considered the minimum ( no matter how many or the species ) is because the less water you have the more often you will have to do water changes and the easier it is for bacterial levels to fluctuate. Which is not good.

However, it does depend on the species somewhat. You probably aren't going to want more than one P. waltl in a 10 gallon tank. On the other hand you could have maybe 3 C. orientalis in a 10 gallon tank. So it kind of depends on what species would go in the tank, and if the tank is a breeder or a tall etc. And also how planted it is.

But like Jake said, 3 gallons is simply not large enough. -Seth

hi guys

thanks for advice. i will abort this 3 gallon bad idea.

thanks

hi guys

can i keep a newt in a 5gallon tank?
measuring 45x17x26cm?
with a 2w 200L/hr internal filter

just a single small newt species like C.cyranus?

thanks

Not advisable.
The minimum that's typically recommend is 10 gallons. There are huge differences in thermal and chemical stability between those volumes.

hi Rodrigo

thanks for advice

i better stick to the rules and guidelines here. lolx
i will get a 10gallon tank to house my newts.

thanks once again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back