Itchy axolotl

Umber

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my wildtype axolotl has been itching a lot, especially her gills. I do not see anything on her body or gills. The other two axolotls in the same tank are not showing any signs of itchyness. It may be due to low pH, around 6.5 and I am doing 25% water changes every day to help correct it. I will admit I got a little behind in tank maintenance.

pH 6.5
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Alkalinity 40ppm
Hardness 75ppm
Temp 66.5 F

Any other advice as to what it could be or how I can help alleviate the problem?

What do you mean by itching? rubbing up against tank ornaments? Pictures might help...

Literally taking her rear foot and scratching at her gills almost in a way that a dog or cat would scratch at their ears.. Sometimes she flails a little, suspended in the water, while she does it. Primarily does it to her right side. I havent seen her actively rubbing against anything.

It starts and stops kinda quickly and Im not sure if a pick would really show what I mean.

Your water readings seem fine and if you cannot see any fungus, it may be some type of parasitic infestation. Otherwise, perhaps Indian almond leaves would soothe the skin.

Do you have sand in your tank? My axie has done it a couple of times when he got sand on his gills after messing around in the sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back