Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How can i keep my axies FROM breeding?

cherryglue

Reaction score
We have noticed our male leaving little sperm pockets in the tank here and there and are very surprised...i read that its harder to get the to breed in larger tanks and that smaller tanks are ideal, but our tank is a 4ft long 55 gallon and our female isnt at her full size yet...im afraid that shes too young and i read that its risky to breed too young...ive been turkey basting the sperm pockets out but im scared she'll get some while im away or sleeping and really worried she will get ill or worse...any ideas? we do have a smaller tank she was in but its not set up anymore, boyfriend is waiting for next week when we water change to put the cycled water in the smaller tank again..

HayleyK

Reaction score
Use a divider in your tank - you can't stop him leaving them around!

HayleyK

Reaction score
Also simply putting water from the tank into the smaller tank won't cycle it. Water hardly holds any beneficial bacteria. The bacteria stick to the glass, ornaments and especially media filter. You should set up the filter for the small tank in your big tank or atleast "seed" it I.e squeeze the filter media into the new filter media to kick start the cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1