Question: Axolotl friendly sealant? DIY Background

Spartacus

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sarah
Hi guys

For ages now, I've been working on a 3D background for my axies. It's the typical foam and concrete combo. I want something safe to seal all the concrete/concrete oxides in?

Heaps of people say either epoxy resin, or polyurethane coatings, but others say no to these. I'm wondering if any axie keepers have experience with this? Cause axies are extra sensitive to chemicals, and I don't want to risk something that is ok with fish, but might not be for axies.

Advice anyone?
I don't need product names (i.e krylon fusion paint), just what type of thing it is (i.e epoxy resin), because in NZ, chances are we don't have it by that name, and I just really need to find something! It's almost done

I'm using pond sealant. You may have it in NZ, just make sure on the back it says that it's safe to use. The brand I'm using is pH neutral, non toxic to aquatic life and plants and can be used with areas that collect and store drinking water.

Thanks, I found some stuff like that, paid $100 for it, only to open it and realise it's black! I haven't managed to find a clear kind yet :( its a shame cause the black works really well, but I need a clear one for this project

Wow that's so expensive. The brand I used only cost I think $26 and comes in clear. It's called cromellins waterproof sealer, bought it from bunnings. Maybe if there is a bunnings in NZ or perhaps you can get it delivered?

After a lot of searching round, I found some "pond paint", which is just a sealer that is aquarium safe. Still a wopping $80 though. I think some chemical in all these products must be banned here, because I can barely find anything that isn't sold in large quantities for industry work. Bunnings Australia had the cromellins but nowhere in NZ *sigh* og well, at least I've finally found some clear stuff :) thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back