Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My Axie is Hurt!

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
My axolotl is hurt and I really have no idea why. Nothing in her tank is sharp, water quality is always fine. She has just been eating fish these past two weeks (I alternate on fish, crickets and bloodworms).

Is this a wound?? seems like part of her mouth came off. she doesn't smile anymore.

or fungus?

should i put into the fridge? give a saltbath?

She looks so stressed from the ordeal. obviously she can't eat for now...she is in no mood too. I have taken her cave, fake plant, and large rocks out from tank to sterilize.

Attachments

• IMG_7644.jpg
    IMG_7644.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_7645.jpg
    IMG_7645.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 818

EmbryH

Reaction score
What kind of fish were you giving her? How large were they? Perhaps they damaged her.

Fish are only suitable for an occasional treat, not two week's worth of meals or any kind of staple. Crickets and bloodworms also aren't the best as far as nutrition goes, so if you can find them you should switch her to earthworms.

Has she been swimming erratically? Is there a chance she swam into the wall?

Also, are there any rough or sharp edges on her tank ornaments? What large rocks are you using? Are the leaves on the plants sharp at all?

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
Hong Kong does not sell earthworms due to possibility of parasites. The only stuff I can feed her are fish, bloodworms and crickets (which is what I do). And mealworms which I don't think are good for them. They eat fish in the wild, so it is suitable for a meal. But for the past two weeks I was only feeding her fish because I had bought some. Also the breeder had been feeding fish before...

I was only feeding very small fish. I watched her eat it (I have to feed her using tongs usually) two days ago so it is not the fish.

None of the objects in her tank are sharp. I have no idea why she is so badly hurt!!!

I'm thinking its fungus. I looked at her gills today, theres a small white patch on it. The stuff on her mouth doesn't seem like fungus though...I don't know.

She seems very stressed and hurt. I have put her in the fridge for now and will do a salt bath later..:(

Kaini

Reaction score
Eesh. that doesn't look too good D:

To start with, fish are NOT a very good diet for Axolotls, nor are crickets and bloodworms aren't good nutrition for adults. You should be feeding an adult Axolotl earthworms - they're safe, and balanced nutrition.

Do you quarantine these fish before you feed them? Feeder fish can carry a whole host of diseases and parasites as well. I would just stop feeding these and switch to earthworms.

Secondly, what exactly are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and temperature ?

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
She is bleeding now. What should I do?

No, Hong Kong does not sell earthworms due to parasites.

I asked the breeder I bought from. She told me she feeds fish directly all the time (she said no diseases). So I did not quarantine the fish before feeding. Maybe the fish had some disease??

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0 according to API test kit...Temp is usu 18-21 degrees celcius.

Last edited:

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
is there a possibility that it's fungus?

i'm not sure, that's why im hesitant to give salt bath. her mouth is bleeding now, im afraid if its not fungus it will irritate her mouth?

Sweetie

Reaction score
I would not give her a salt bath until you are certain it is fungus - otherwise, it will stress her out lots more and for nothing. You could try Indian almond leaves, which have antibacterial and antifungal properties, so may help with healing and with any possible fungal infection of the wound or elsewhere.
You say water quality is fine, but it would help to know your temperature,ammonia, nitrites and nitrates readings, as this looks like blistering, which usually results from poor water quality.
But wait on the salt bath - it is not a cure-all treatment but a stressful ordeal you should only put her through if you are certain it will help.

HayleyK

Reaction score
With no readings of nitrates it seems your tank is uncycled.

What filter do you use, and what are your water changes like?

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
It has been cycled. I cycled it for two months.

And have had her for half a year...she's over a year old.

I use a sponge filter. And do partial water (usually 10%) changes every 3-7 days.

Sweetie

Reaction score
It has been cycled. I cycled it for two months.
It doesn't matter how long it was cycled initially. If the nitrites and the nitrates are both at zero, then your tank needs cycling again. Until the readings are back to normal, you will need to do much bigger and more frequent water changes - test the water daily and do water changes accordingly. It is also important to try and keep the water temperature below 20. These conditions will be making your lotl more susceptible to disease, which in this case may well have come from the unquarantined fish. Meanwhile, until the tank water is healthier, the axie should probably be in a tub of cool, fresh dechlorinated water, with 100% water changes daily. But I agree that it may well be time for a trip to the vet.

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
How Long can my axolotl be in the fridge without eating?

I posted few days ago panicking because my axolotl got a really bad mouth infection and wouldn't stop bleeding. Well she stopped bleeding after a day and is doing fine...

I was wondering how many days she can be in the fridge? She has not eaten for 6 days I think, 2 days while not in fridge and then 4 days in fridge?

I plan to keep her in there until her mouth heals. But she will refuse to eat in the fridge...(Although it's not like she can eat now as she's still quite sick)

Also, as she got an infection from probably the fish she ate which I fed her while in her tank, Do I need to dump all the water out from the tank and recycle it???? and how do i disinfect the tank if so.......

Thanks

Cfigliola

Reaction score
Re: How Long can my axolotl be in the fridge without eating?

The cold usually slows down their appetite, axolotls can last a long time without any food.

Do you have any pictures of the infection? Salt baths may be the better option for her?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
.I have merged your two posts together so all the information is there.

I still advise a trip to a vet. I would be surprised if the poor animal could eat with this infection. I very much doubt this will heal without professional help, as it stands, your axolotl will be suffering.

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
I will take some pics tomorrow and post here.

I do not want to take her tub out of the fridge again today.

How long is too long without eating for an axie??

Cfigliola

Reaction score
Hi. Axolotl can go a long time without food. So don't worry. I would recommend a salt bath to kill off the infection. That's what it looks like to me. POor thing

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
As she was bleeding, I think I can only do a salt bath when the wound closes up? well she has stopped bleeding, so can I do a salt bath over the weekend?

I thought salt baths were only for Fungus? Is it OK for bacteria.

Her gills had become paler and her whole body became paler first few days in fridge. Today, I found that her gills were normal pink colour. Is that good or bad? means she was moving a lot last nite in the fridge despite the cold?

There are no amphibian specialized vets in Hong Kong, I checked.

xxlegislationxx

Reaction score
Are salt baths effective if she's already been infected for like a week but in the fridge?

I'm afraid of stressing her more.

And how do I disinfect her tank (just in case she gets better, I need to start disinfecting it then recycling it)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!