Illness/Sickness: What could it be? seriously worried

mkpage0715

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had my axies for over 2 years now...absolutely love them... Maxie, named because she was extremely large when I got her because she was overfed, has been always very healthy eater. She has gone a couple times without eating for 2 weeks, and one time 3, but always came out of it and started eating like herself...this time is different....she has something literally coming out of her "backside" and seems to be stuck in it. I pulled her out and tried to feed her frozen bloodworms, which always worked before when she was like this, but nothing. she won't eat anything...I tried to see if I could remove the lodge in her, but it wouldn't move and I didn't want to hurt her...in the last week she has lost a lot of weight. what in the world is going on with her and what is it coming out? any ideas? I am going to try and post a picture of it shortly....my phone died. and trying to get her to pose to take the pic has been hard to this point so I thought I would try the site to get a feel out here while I work on the picture.

What kind of substrate do you use? What do you feed her as a staple?

It could be some sort of blockage or prolapse. I think a vets opinion would be best. In the meantime I would separate her in a tub with cool clean dechlorinated water with 100% daily changes. Pictures would help, so upload when you can.

P.s I would not try and remove the blockage yourself, it may do more harm than good.

I use large turtle stones now, but was using sand and stone for some time...and, I didn't actually try and remove the blockage, just tried moving it to see if it would come out on its own...pictures coming...but I did see on site the new lead for Herp Vets and there is one right in my neighborhood so I am going to call later this morning to see if they can get her in.

here is a picture...will try to get her visible again to show....

Attachments

• maxie.jpg
    maxie.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 141
Those stones don't look big enough, honestly they look like pebbles and can easily be swallowed causing impaction. They need to be twice the size of your axolotls head for it to be safe - but the bigger the rocks the more poop/food can get caught in between causing water quality issues. I think it's best to switch back to fine sand or bare bottom.

Photos not clear enough, you could fridge her for a few days if you are desperate and can't find a vet ASAP. Fridging will slow her metabolism thus slowing weight loss (however she most likely won't eat in there due to the coldness slowing her metabolism) and helping her pass whatever is blocking her. If it's a prolapse, fridging won't work.

I will be contacting the Vet today...hopefully they are open..otherwise I will call them tomorrow...the stones are actually pretty big but not twice their size...so I will look for bigger ones to be sure...thanks for the input. I tried to get another pic but she is not being receptive just yet...

I am SO thankful for this site...I saw the listing for the herp vets on this page, and found the first one on the list was not only 15 minutes away, but is open 7 days a week...so I got in there today...turns out, she DID ingest one of the stones from the bottom of the tank and it was too large for her to pass so she was pushing out her insides while trying to push out the stone....the Vets were SO good with her...they were able to help her pass the stone without having to open her up, and put her back together and only had to use one stitch...she looks better already! I have to give her medicine the next two weeks, and she can't eat for the next two days, so I hope she will be back to normal again soon.....THANK YOU Caudata.ORG and everyone who is on this site that helps our little friends......needless to say, the minute I got home, ALL stones are now removed....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back