Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New "for life" tank.

ifyouseeher

Reaction score
So we've finally got Toaster his "for life" tank because he's definitely outgrown the one he's in now. So how do I go about moving him. Do I need to cycle the new tank or can I just put his old filter media and sand and plants and things along with the water from the old tank? And do I need to not feed him for a few days or can I just continue with his current feeding regimen (he's basically got me trained so if he's hungry he sits at the top of the tank and eyeballs me until I feed him)

auntiejude

Reaction score
If you have a new filter you can move the old medium to the new filter, but you will have to keep an eye on the water chemistry as it will go a bit wonky for a week or 2. Moving substrate and ornaments will help too, but you don't need the old water.

Why would you not feed your axie after you have moved him? Just carry on as normal, if he doesn't want to eat he won't.

ifyouseeher

Reaction score
We were told not to feed him for a couple of days before we move him but it just sounded weird to me, he was fed before he moved into his current tank and aside from being a bit grumpy and hiding he was fine. I thought I'd get a second opinion from people who actually care about the axolotls they look after though.

Kaini

Reaction score
If you move the filter media and substrate over to the new tank, it will kick start the cycle in the new tank but there will still be spikes of ammonia/nitrite you'll have to monitor. So be prepared to do daily water changes until the cycle evens out.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Ok, I see the confusion over moving and feeding - if your axie is going to travel any distance or be shipped to somewhere else you're supposed to fast it for a couple of days to pevent it pooping during transit.
If you're going from one tank to another, or just a short trip there is no need.

ifyouseeher

Reaction score
He's moved into his tank. He was super grumpy about the whole ordeal. It's only now he's in his nice new massive tank that I've realised just how small his old one easy, poor little guy. It's super bare in there now so now I have to get him some new plants and hides. I've ordered a couple of marimo balls and some elodea crispa, what other plants do you think will do well in a low light tank?

(Sorry for all the questions, I've had Toaster for nearly a year but I'm still a complete novice)

layna

Reaction score
Anubias, duckweed, water lettuce, mini water lettuce, water soldiers, moss
there are loads of types of moss and anbias though so it doesnt all have to look the same :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1