Eggs in tank? Or something else?

fireball99

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I have a question that may seem like a very silly one. My axie is coming up one year old. I always thought he was a he, but more recently I'm starting to think he's probably a she!

Anyway, for months now when I've been doing the water change I've noticed little things stuck to the sides of the tank. They look like very small circles with a tiny little black dot in the middle. Since they've been here since before my axie would be considered sexually mature, I thought maybe they were just possibly something that appears in tanks as standard with the little eco system that's going on in there. I remove them with a cloth but they just reappear. Are they actually eggs?

I had a look on google images to see what an axolotl egg looks like and they're not quite the same as what I'm seeing in the tank; for a start what I find tend to be individual blobs and not that many of them, and also not clustered together. They're also much smaller and on the side of the tank, sometimes I've seen one or two on the filter.

I can't get a good photo of them since they are so small, but any ideas what they could be and how to remove them if I need to be keeping an eye on them?

p.s. should say that water parameters are fine, 1/4 water change every week since I noticed nitrites were high a month or so back, we're now back to normal levels. Axl is the only axie in the tank, 60 litre.

Last edited:
So I have a girl then :) She's been laying them from a young age though :wacko:

Could you add a photo so we can see ? Do you have snails in your tank?

I don't have any snails, just the axolotl. I got him/her at a few months old so she is only just approaching one year. These things have been appearing for close to six months.

They're so small I can't get a photo that will focus properly which is why I wasn't convinced that they were eggs. They are the same shape as a grain of rice, only about half the size, sometimes even smaller.

The only way I can describe them is like an oval shape that is clear around the outside but with a miniscule little black/brown blob thing in the middle.

They aren't clustered together, looking at the tank at the moment they tend to be scattered over all four sides but there isn't a lot of them.

There are none that I can see on the surface of the tank or where my axie normally hangs out, only (as far as I can see) stuck to the walls of the tank.

The axie seems happy, not stressed, eating well so whatever they are they don't seem to causing any harm, but I was just surprised that she'd be laying eggs from six months?

I should add that we don't have any live plants from a pet shop that could have had any sort of creature hiding in it apart from some duckweed which was given to us by the man who raised the axie from a baby. The duckweed has been in our tank for months before these blobs started to appear.

We bought the tank from someone else before we got the axie, and it has been used before for, I think, fish. It was thoroughly cleaned, and the sand we're using is new, washed, playsand. We got some ornaments with the tank (large stones) but those were thoroughly cleaned before they were put into the tank when we cycled it. Again, we went for months without these little things appearing so I don't think it could be anything that's been left over from the tank's previous use?

Could be wrong though!

Sounds like eggs to me! They don't always lay them in clusters, sometimes Nori lays just one odd ball somewhere, sometimes in lines, and sometimes in clusters, big and small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back