Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will this outdoor vivaria work?

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am planning a outdoor vivaria for some S. s. terrestris, juveniles of mine. And I am wondering if this setup would work? It might be a little hard to read in the picture ( plus my handwriting could be better :/ ). Basically it is all going to be below ground level, and then within the vivaria there would be a very large hibernacula that goes underground. There would be a water bowl, some plants ( more than in the picture ) dirt substrate, moss, leaves ( as the season permits ), hides, ventilation to the hibernacula, wood structure with holes in the bottom and mesh to allow drainage, mesh lid, and maybe a log. I am hoping to set it up soon and out the salamander in in a year or so, that way the bug like and overall vivaria can get settled in.

I am wondering if wood would work as the structure? Would it eventually rot? Oh, and also there would be a slightly different entrance/exit to the hibernacula, to allow them to go in or out easier.

Any info, ideas or concerns are appreciated! -Seth

Attachments

• P1160029.jpg
    P1160029.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 934

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I think you are right about the rotting wood idea. You could go for a plastic maybe, be sure it won't leach any yucky stuff into the soil. Other then that it looks all good, I'm sure you know that you will need a very secure lid to keep them inside.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Rather than use wood, I used pond liner to line the enclosure, this had holes added to allow drainage. I didn't put holes in the section where the water is.
With my first outdoor enclosure I made the mistake of making the hibernaculum inaccessible for me to check on the occupants. I am still plotting my tigers outdoor enclosure to allow access to the hibernaculum if needed.
As your whole enclosure is below ground level, you may need to make sure that it does not get flooded or hold water.

areynoldssr

Reaction score
I didnt see drainage in your design. With it being under ground you need twice the area for drainage. which should be at the side and at a lower level.:D

sde

Reaction score
I think you are right about the rotting wood idea. You could go for a plastic maybe, be sure it won't leach any yucky stuff into the soil. Other then that it looks all good, I'm sure you know that you will need a very secure lid to keep them inside.

I decided to use wood and seal it with water/UV seal. it might rot eventually but it should work for several years I would think. Yes I know it would need a secure lid.

Rather than use wood, I used pond liner to line the enclosure, this had holes added to allow drainage. I didn't put holes in the section where the water is.
With my first outdoor enclosure I made the mistake of making the hibernaculum inaccessible for me to check on the occupants. I am still plotting my tigers outdoor enclosure to allow access to the hibernaculum if needed.
As your whole enclosure is below ground level, you may need to make sure that it does not get flooded or hold water.

Hmm, I will see if I can figure out a way to make the hibernacula accessible. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes I thought of the flooding problem, I was going to do it in a place that was wet, but then I realized that problem. It is now going to be in a much drier place that I doubt think will flood. I drilled lots of holes in the bottom ( 25 ), and some in all the sides.

Doverish

Reaction score
Quick initial thought, what is to keep the whole thing from becoming a lake during the first heavy rain? What is the approximate total size?

sde

Reaction score
Quick initial thought, what is to keep the whole thing from becoming a lake during the first heavy rain? What is the approximate total size?

Haha, good question. Well it has dozens of holes throughout it for drainage, plus I think I might have it under a tree, but I keep changing where I want to have it so I am not quite sure. But anyway, the soil will absorb the water, and then it will slowly drain out.

It is 5 feet long, 20 inches high, and 28 inches wide.

The wood frame and construction is almost done, I will post about it after a while.

I changed my hibernacula plans to make it accessible, which messed everything up, but now I got it all figure out....I think ;) -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1