Soon to be axolotl owner introduction

bethinak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to introduce myself as I read and learn and ask a million questions.

I'm Beth. My son Ben turns 9 on June 4th and the only thing he has asked for is an axolotl. I'm a reasonably experienced herp owner (geckos mostly) and vivarium builder I think its an awesome choice of gift! His dad isn't so sure.

We are working on getting a tank ready. We do live in Anchorage Alaska and will need to have an axolotl shipped to us (we are happy to pay whatever it takes - we are used to it) after we are ready.

Looking forward to learning from all of you!

Hi Beth, welcome to the forum. We have some really knowledgable people here :)

Axolotls are great pets! Over the years I've had dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, mice and fish and my little axie is definitely one of the most interesting ones. Not only for when people come to the house and ask "hey, what's that?" but also just to look at. Some people think axies do nothing apart from rest on the bottom of the tank which is only partially true. I've found out that they have adorable little personalities and even just the way they move makes me love them more and more.

I had seen a photo of a pink axie on Google and fell in love almost immediately. I asked my husband for one and he just laughed (as I've also asked for a lamb and a bat, neither of which I will get or was even serious about getting!). Months later he came home from work and informed that his colleague had been raising lotl babies and I could have one. I came home about a week or so later once we'd gotten the tank ready he brought home the most adorable little pink lotl I've ever seen, and we've never looked back <3

Attachments

• baby axl.jpg
    baby axl.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Axl.jpg
    Axl.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 190
Welcome Beth!
If you've never owned an aquatic species before, the biggest difference is learning about filtration and the nitrogen cycle. Most people think that their filter is to trap particles, when in fact biological filtration is the most important function. Read up on aquarium cycling and the nitrogen cycle, and you'll be a pro axi keeper in no time! Keep in mind that the larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain a stable environment,. It's common to think that starting small is easiest, but that isn't the case in aquatic environments. Keeping axi's is super fun and very rewarding, you're sure to love your crazy looking new friend!

Welcome :)

You have come to the right place! There is a truckload of information here :)

Welcome Beth!
If you've never owned an aquatic species before, the biggest difference is learning about filtration and the nitrogen cycle. Most people think that their filter is to trap particles, when in fact biological filtration is the most important function. Read up on aquarium cycling and the nitrogen cycle, and you'll be a pro axi keeper in no time! Keep in mind that the larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain a stable environment,. It's common to think that starting small is easiest, but that isn't the case in aquatic environments. Keeping axi's is super fun and very rewarding, you're sure to love your crazy looking new friend!

My dad is a community tank freak and I grew up with turtles and fish. I think turtles are different and don't care as much about water quality. We currently own a pipidae frog and an african clawed frog. Guessing I can use a used filter to start my cycle. Planning to start our tank this weekend so that we can make that happen before the big birthday!!

Hi Beth, welcome to the forum. We have some really knowledgable people here :)

Axolotls are great pets! Over the years I've had dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, mice and fish and my little axie is definitely one of the most interesting ones. Not only for when people come to the house and ask "hey, what's that?" but also just to look at. Some people think axies do nothing apart from rest on the bottom of the tank which is only partially true. I've found out that they have adorable little personalities and even just the way they move makes me love them more and more.

I had seen a photo of a pink axie on Google and fell in love almost immediately. I asked my husband for one and he just laughed (as I've also asked for a lamb and a bat, neither of which I will get or was even serious about getting!). Months later he came home from work and informed that his colleague had been raising lotl babies and I could have one. I came home about a week or so later once we'd gotten the tank ready he brought home the most adorable little pink lotl I've ever seen, and we've never looked back <3

LOL you sound like my son who has been saying axolotls are his favorite animal for about a year now. Its because they smile.

Your little one is adorable!!!

A lot of people use used filter media to kickstart a cycle, or you can start with a brand new filter with new foams and use the ammonia method to get it started.

I don't want to preach to the converted, but do you have test kits ready to make sure your water parameters are perfect before adding your baby? Axolotls are quite fussy about water quality, and from anecdotal experience, it seems albinos and lighter colours seem to be extra-sensitive.

A lot of people use used filter media to kickstart a cycle, or you can start with a brand new filter with new foams and use the ammonia method to get it started.

I don't want to preach to the converted, but do you have test kits ready to make sure your water parameters are perfect before adding your baby? Axolotls are quite fussy about water quality, and from anecdotal experience, it seems albinos and lighter colours seem to be extra-sensitive.

I need to get an fresh kit - I will do, before the order for animals is sent!

Cool. They seem to be cheapest on Amazon at the moment :)

By the way, not to be intrusive, but what is it like in Arkansas? I wrote a book set in Arkansas and I kind of feel a bit like a fake because I've never been there and the only information I could get was an overhead of somewhere in Arkansas on the Wii U, some internet research and some Youtube footage >.<

I think she's actually in Alaska. So I'm guessing quite a bit colder than Arkansas. :D A lot of our states have abbreviations that are way too similar. I mess up half of them, and I live here.

Cool. They seem to be cheapest on Amazon at the moment :)

By the way, not to be intrusive, but what is it like in Arkansas? I wrote a book set in Arkansas and I kind of feel a bit like a fake because I've never been there and the only information I could get was an overhead of somewhere in Arkansas on the Wii U, some internet research and some Youtube footage >.<

I'm an Anchorage, Alaska and have never been to Arkansas. The only thing i know about it is why it is spelled arkansas and not arkansaw.

What was your book about?

:happy:

Hahaha I love your story. It sounds very similiar to mine.I ask for the most outrageous pets that I'm told no I can't have like oppossums and I even wanted a goat, a sheep and a bat lol.
I saw an axolotl on a tv show and decided I had to have one and decided my husband was going to gift me one as a wedding present. A month later he finally gave in and I got mine. Then my husband decided he needed one as well. :)

And Beth...welcome to the forums. Keep us updated on your future axolotl and I'm happy your son asked for an axolotl. Smart boy you got there. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back