Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Flourish Excel (glutaraldehyde) as a Fungicide

HayleyK

Reaction score
Not entirely familiar with that product but I've heard you shouldn't use it with axolotls. Salt baths are sufficient.

Kaini

Reaction score
Flourish excel is a source of carbon for plants as a substitute for co2. Co2 systems or plant ferts should never be used in axolotl tanks.

There are far better ways to get rid of fungus, such as salt baths.

HayleyK

Reaction score
"it is still best to avoid introducing chemicals or products into the axolotl tank"

To treat fungus - stick to salt baths. Why bother using chemicals that could cause harm when salt is perfectly fine. Breeders and owners have been using salt baths successfully.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Glutaraldehyde is a very nasty chemical - it's an analogue of formaldehyde, which is used to 'pickle' preserved tissues for labs, and used in embalming fluid. Glutaraldehyde itself was used to sterilise medical equipment, until it was discovered to be a neurotoxin - I know nurses who had been exposed to it for years (before it was banned because of it's toxicity) who now sound drunk (slurring their words) or have tremors.

It is a very effective steriliser, but I would not expose any living thing to it, especially axies who absorb chemicals through their skin. For fish who only live a few years and have scales to protect them I can see it's use, but not for axies.

Skudo09

Reaction score
My understanding is that excel was one of the few products you could use in axolotl tank. I've used half dose for a year in one of my axolotl tanks and they were healthy and breeding.

Axolotl Sanctuary

Read the Plant Care section.

I am going to agree with the advice given by everyone here. But I am curious to know why you were using it for a year?

Slongo

Reaction score
I am going to agree with the advice given by everyone here. But I am curious to know why you were using it for a year?

Flourish excel is a liquid source of carbon for plants. I use it almost all my planted tanks. Its harmless to fish and my axolotls havent shown any ill effects of its usage. In fact my axolotls didnt get the fungal infection until I stopped using it.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Flourish excel is a liquid source of carbon for plants. I use it almost all my planted tanks. Its harmless to fish and my axolotls havent shown any ill effects of its usage. In fact my axolotls didnt get the fungal infection until I stopped using it.

Fungal spores are always in the water and present when the water quality and temperature is off causing lower immunity which allows the fungus to grow. General stress can also cause lower immunity. As well as scrapes and grazes which cause a breach in their protective slime coat.

Skudo09

Reaction score
Whilst your axolotls may not have shown outwardly obvious signs of negative effects I would be worried that prolonged use of the product would have internally. fungus usually occurs when there is a breach in the slime coat which may be caused by poor water quality, injuries, stress weakening the immune system. I would not be basing the safety on use of this product simply by whether they got fungus when you stopped using the product. Fungus can be prevented by much safer means than using nasty chemicals such as simply maintaining good water quality. There are also treatments available for fungus that are most likely a lot safer for axolotls. I would question how safe the use of this product really is on fish and worry about long term side effects particularly with prolonged use. Personally, I would not expose any living animal to this chemical. Though some may disagree with me. However I would advise against using this product with axolotls.

E

Elise

There is a massive amount of documentation around more reliable and safer treatment methods for fungal infections. Using glutaraldehyde to treat infection without any documented precedence would essentially be you experimenting on your axolotl.

Also, correlation does not mean causation. Your infections are more likely due to a quality issue with their environment and not your discontinuing the plant supplement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!