Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Perth Australia - 2 little Axies:)

mmuumi

Reaction score
Hi everyone:)

I've just acquired two little axies and am super proud of them:
Axl Rose - an orange 15cm boy (I think:)))
and Mex Gonzales - a dark 12cm girl (or boy)

They're my dream come true, and as a complete newbie I keep freaking out if I'm doing it right.

What I've got for my babies:
AQUA ONE Horizon 65L Tank (just like that: AQUA ONE Horizon 65 Starter Kit with Stand 65L)
Filter that came with it - ClearView 280 Hang on Filter
Light - that I rarely turn on
Thermometer - that constantly shows between 20-21C - and it's winter in Perth, so I'm thinking of a proper chiller for summer...
Large pebbles (more like rocks really); I'm thinking of adding sand since it's really hard to clean around the pebbles.
3 hideouts - which they seem to love;
a few live plants:)
PH is 6.8-7 according to API tests; I also add API Stress Zyme every time I clean the tank (weekly that is - and replace 20% of water).
I also bought API test strips which test for Nitrate/Nitrite etc, though still figuring out re GH/KH stuff...

I feed them FishFuelCo Heart & Prawn pellets - Fish Fuel - Heart & Prawns (1 between two of them each day) and sometimes Blue Planet Axolotl Food sinking pellets as a treat - they also love them :animal:

Ax is missing his right gills (from day one, it didn't stop me from getting him - and they're already growing back:)) and is super-active and nosy (no wonder he got damaged!). Mex is much more reserved and prefers to swim only if rewarded with food. I'll post their pics in the gallery - feel like mom proud of her babies:))))

Would love to hear from fellow Ozzies - how do you survive summers - especially in Perth; what do you feed your pets; what setup you've got in your tank - I'd love to learn and do the right thing:)

Attachments

• DSC09295.jpg
    DSC09295.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4003.JPG
    IMG_4003.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 10247452_10152846800454768_8528717109074885962_n.jpg
    10247452_10152846800454768_8528717109074885962_n.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 214

CJ1981

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum :happy: I'm not from Australia but from what I have read on the forums a chiller will be you best friend!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1