Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Axolotl babies

Lilo

Reaction score
Hi!
It all started when I bought a friend to my female axolotl, the person I bought it from "guaranteed" that it was a female.

I had “her” for a month or two, then a went on vacation for almost 4 weeks and when I came home, she was a he.

Well, what to do.

2 month later a hade a lots of eggs in my aquarium. I decided to only save a few.

I think I saved 8 eggs. 5 of them have developed good and are now healthy babies.

I was thinking that I would share some pictures of my axolotl babies. I hope you will enjoy.:eek:

This is pictures from day 1

Attachments

• Day01.jpg
    Day01.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Day1.jpg
    Day1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 248

Lilo

Reaction score
And the last pictures. Today they are 7 weeks and 6days old.
I sold two of them and these three will stay.

Attachments

• today.jpg
    today.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 223
  • today..jpg
    today..jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 287
  • today...jpg
    today...jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 321

Lilo

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a new aquarium for them. Was thinking that a little bigger would be better, they are growing so fast! :happy:
They have been living in a 54 liter tank, and the new one is 390 liters.

Now I just have to completely renovate it, much work but I hope they will apperciate it.:eek:

Lilo

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update. The aquarium is ready made and my 3 young axolotls is happy in their new home. :)

Attachments

• caudata390liter.jpg
    caudata390liter.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 238

allied123

Reaction score
omg I love that tank so much. that's pretty much exactly what I want (except with black sand since my guys are albinos) but did you use some type of silicone for the slate and rock hides? and where did you get that slate? I'm so head over heels for exactly that type of uneven cut rough looking slate

ArdyBay

Reaction score
Not to hijack the post or anything, but I have similar slating and rocks in my tank and I got it from Home Depot. I think Lowes or any kind of hardware store might sell it. It's in the back with the gardening and rock work supplies.

Lilo

Reaction score
Thank you allied123 & Ardybay :) They seem to enjoy it.

Allied123;
I got the slates from the pet shop. It's very common to find in the aquarium shops here.
I have not used any silicon between the slates and the rocks.
I think it would look really great with black sand instead of this light one, but the dark sand is so expensive, and it's very hard to find any black sand without chemicals!
This sand is bought in a hardware store, around 17 USD (I think) for 50liters of sand.

allied123

Reaction score
Thank you! I didn't even think to look at where you were from, I forget that people here are from everywhere, it's awesome :) but our pet shops don't even sell tubing to go with their water pumps >.< so off to the garden center I go! Again your setup is awesome thanks for sharing :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1