Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank setup (i've read a lot of care guides and stickies, but heard different opinions. Someone please help?)

Jimmy NewtTron

Reaction score
Okay so i have my baby firebelly in a 10 gallon tank. there are a few plants, some rocks, a place to hide, decor, etc. I had it filled most of the way, with a little castle sticking out of the water for him to sit on.
FUfqvsi.jpg

I noticed he WOULD NOT leave the castle. when i tried to put him in the water, he FREAKED OUT and couldnt swim and just kind of sank to the bottom. i thought he would drown so i just put him back on the castle.. ive read recently that they are mostly terrestrial at his age (idk how old but hes like 1.5 inches long )
PWR1Vyw.jpg

Like he could not leave that castle or he would die

Taking some peoples advice online, I took out a bunch of water. So now he's in the water all the time, but he wont drown. and part of the tank is deeper than the other. Does this look suitable for him to live for now?
JCSKsv6.jpg

Any changes that should be made, besides live plants (because i dont have any money right now) I live by a pond with plants that i could add, but that might add parasites or bacteria.. so any advice?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Well, i didn't really mean remove a ton of water, now he can climb on top of that decor and get dry, i meant submerge all of the land a little so he will slowly get used to the "feel" of water

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the advice you need is in the sticky thread about Chinese fire bellies at the top of the help section. The info in that thread has been tried and tested many times and was made a sticky because it's the most successful way to rehabilitate these poor, stressed creatures. I've explained why he clings to the decorations and freaks out in the water, and why an inch of water in the bottom of a tank is an unsuitable environment in your other threads. I've also explained why plants of some sort should be a priority. By following the advice in the sticky you will be giving him the best chance of recovery.

Jimmy NewtTron

Reaction score
Okay, ill add a little more water back. And chinadog, i read the sticky again and i found it, i was looking at the wrong thing last time, thanks for the help!

Jimmy NewtTron

Reaction score
Does this water level look appropriate for my newts size?

T8Qrb2k.jpg

NBU9KyG.jpg

He will always go to the highest point, like he hates the water. Ive been hearing so many mixed opinions, and the stickies kind of confused me. I'm new to all of this so please bear with me. he will only stay near the surface, he will never dive down to get food. If i have him out of the water and i feed him an earthworm, he'll eat it. But if i put it in his tank he wont swim under to get it. he only wants to stay near the surface

punkette

Reaction score
Re: Does this water level look appropriate for my newts size?

I'd say for now get the water down to uncover the top of that rock so he can rest there and wait for someone with more experience

someone?

also giving temperatures and stats might help us find the matter

Jimmy NewtTron

Reaction score

I'd say for now get the water down to uncover the top of that rock so he can rest there and wait for someone with more experience

someone?

also giving temperatures and stats might help us find the matter

I dont know any way to test the water, but my friend who used to live here used our water for his newt. It's not chlorinated.

My house is like 68-70F usually so the water should be good.

I honestly just think hes too young and small. People tell me he'll be fine in the water but he freaks out and im afraid he'll drown. So i give him something like a rock or that dragon to stand on, then when he gets on it he will never leave it. Like this newt hates the water . And my friends newt never had a problem with our water and it was the same species, so i'm almost certain the problem isnt the water

Attachments

• newt3.jpg
    newt3.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 162

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score

Try getting a water test kit from API, just to be sure. Try getting a turtle dock or something like that for him to go on if he wants to. What species is this?

Jimmy NewtTron

Reaction score

Try getting a water test kit from API, just to be sure. Try getting a turtle dock or something like that for him to go on if he wants to. What species is this?

Chinese firebelly. And i did get something for him to crawl on to, problem is he wont leave it :(

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have merged your two latest posts together so all the information is together.

Is this a recent purchase? If so it will most likely be a wild caught animal that is very stressed. It may settle better if you can let it settle. My advice is to either put it in a very simple lidded setup with damp paper towels and lots of small live food...white worm or flightless fruit fly work well, green aphids if you can find them are also good. Or put shallow water with lots of aquatic plants and small live food such as daphnia, blackworm etc. Disturb as little as possible..it is unlikely to want to eat if it is being stressed and moved about.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You've gotten him to eat, and that is a major victory.:happy: I'd continue to provide only a small place for him to get out of the water, but with a shallow water level, not so deep. When you took the level down, that was an OK "starter" level, you just needed to remove the places for him to climb way out of the water (in my opinion).

What does the electrical cord go to? Does the tank have a secure lid (including secure around the cord)? What is the water temperature?

Jimmy NewtTron

Reaction score
The cord goes to an air pump, which is not on. the dragon air pump thing is really just decor for now. Right now i have him in something small like this
http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5071295_main_t300x300.jpg
ill have him in that while i do whatever i need to to the big tank. I dont have enough water for him to drown or anything. certainly enough for him to stay mostly submerged though and stay wet

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1