Question: Should i put my axolotls in the same tank?

FrH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two wild type axolotls and when i bought them they were living together so i had them in the same tank. unfortunately, one was out-growing the other and i wound up with one very small axolotl who was being bullied by the other. the bigger one bit the smaller one's front leg off and so i seperated them while the little one recovered. he is now really healthy and even bigger than the one who bit him! can i put them back in the same tank or will it be best to keep them seperate? the woman i bought them from said it is much better for them to have a friend, but i don't want injured axies! if anybody has some advice please help! thanks :happy:

Axies really don't care whether they live alone or have company, so that's not even a consideration.

How big are they? Once their limbs are strong enough to withstand a nip they should be OK (about 4-5"), and assuming they are about the same size you could try putting them together.

thank you! yeah they're both about 4-5 inches now, and the second tank is probably getting too small for lionel as it was a only a little cheap thing bought in a hurry. i have a new filter and plants on the way and will move them both back to the big tank once i've redecorated a little:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back