Question: Preferred Containers for Raising?

Jon Aaron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys!

So I finally took the plunge after years of wanting axolotls and decided to buy some eggs off of Bette here. I'm new to caudata, but not to aquaria - I've been keeping and breeding various tropical fish species for about 20 years now. I feel "comfortably nervous" about this new challenge, and I can't wait to get started!

My question to you guys today is regarding the containers you prefer to use for rearing your little axies. Do any of you have a preferred method for doing this? Do you prefer raising them separated, or together? What sort of containers do you keep them in?

The reason I ask is that I had an idea and was wondering if it would work. Basically, I have an empty, cycled 20 gallon long waiting for something to go in it. I was thinking about dividing the eggs/babies up into some the old breeding nets I have lying around, the idea being that they might benefit from the increased amount of water stability while still being kept in close proximity of their food. It will likely be their home eventually anyway, so there would also be reduced stress of moving.

Opinions? Thoughts? Just hoping to see what everyone thinks is the best route. :)

Current from a filter is too much for hatchlings to cope with, that's why babies are usually raised in non-filtered tubs with daily water changes.

I raise mine in groups. I use small (1L) containers to start - no more than 2" deep so the babies can find the BBS. Then I move them on to 5L containers once they are on bloodworm - at about 1.5". I thin them out as they grow. Then on to cycled tanks at 3" when they have their back legs.

Oh, I hadn't thought about the filter knocking them around. Good thing I asked!

I've never bred anything that required such accommodations when young. How exactly do you go about doing these water changes? The thought of accidentally dumping my babies out is horrifying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Transferring babies to a clean tub is easiest - scoop them up in a net and move them.

-_- I feel like a dunce.

Apparently I haven't had enough coffee today.

Hi Aaron!
When my current hatchlings were between 2 and 3 weeks old, I transferred them to a very large plastic tub in my basement. In the tub, I used a seeded (it has some good bacteria from my other established tank) large Hydro pro sponge filter. That's it.. not even an airstone. I have floating pieces of Ludwigia plants in there, and I do regular weekly water changes. I also have a small light over the top for the plants. The water quality has been great, and the water stays clear.
Like auntiejude said, the babies definitely cannot tolerate current. Luckily, this sponge filter does not create current.
Also bear in mind that I have been raising mine on grindal worms. They live for days in fresh water, and sink to the bottom. They are eaten before they cause any water quality issues. BBS and daphnia are different. If you are feeding these, then you would probably have to make sure that the water level is low (so the babies can find their food), and it may be too low to accommodate a sponge filter.

Okay! Thanks to the both of you for the advice. I'll admit the idea for the 20 gallon was a bit of a fleeting one, and I'll abandon it. I suppose I was trying to make it more complicated than it has to be... I'll pick up some small tubs or something similar tomorrow and just plan on some good ol' fashioned water changes.

Agh. I'm excited!

Well, the 20 gal won't be useless later on. I've actually moved my 10 biggest juveniles to my spare 20. They seem to enjoy the new water depth and the little caves I've given them, plus it's kind of getting them ready for their own tanks in their new future homes :)

Just for general knowledge, I'm not using any substrate in the tank, I have 2 medium sized hiding holes, and I've rigged a tank divider just in front of the flow of the filter, at an angle, to buffer from the current. It works quite well, and doesn't seem to be impeding the filter, though I'm still doing frequent water changes just to be sure.

Just as an update:

The eggs shipped today, and I'm so excited! I've gotten a 10 gallon set up for hatching, and 10 one-liter tubs ready and waiting for the larvae once they're larger. From what I read, axolotl hatch rate isn't always 100%, so I figured I'd wait to see how many of the 10 hatched before I set up separate enclosures. Plus, I also read that their cannabalism doesn't begin for a little while, so I'll keep them together for the first week, yes?

The tank they'll hatch in is set up with about 2-3" or so of clean, aged water. I placed a few sprigs of anacharis and some water lettuce into it for "filtration" and plan on doing daily water changes. The plants will be divided up with the larvae.

I also have BBS, moina and grindal worm cultures ready to go!

I think I've thought of everything...

I'm ready for my little ones to arrive! :-D

Just as an update:

The eggs shipped today, and I'm so excited! I've gotten a 10 gallon set up for hatching, and 10 one-liter tubs ready and waiting for the larvae once they're larger. From what I read, axolotl hatch rate isn't always 100%, so I figured I'd wait to see how many of the 10 hatched before I set up separate enclosures. Plus, I also read that their cannabalism doesn't begin for a little while, so I'll keep them together for the first week, yes?

The tank they'll hatch in is set up with about 2-3" or so of clean, aged water. I placed a few sprigs of anacharis and some water lettuce into it for "filtration" and plan on doing daily water changes. The plants will be divided up with the larvae.

I also have BBS, moina and grindal worm cultures ready to go!

I think I've thought of everything...

I'm ready for my little ones to arrive! :-D

I'm impressed! You have thought of everything :happy:. I hope that i haven't thrown a monkey wrench in your plans by sending about 4 extras!
You can keep the hatchlings together until they start getting their legs (usually).

Thanks! I'm glad to hear I haven't overlooked anything major. ^_^

4 more isn't going to derail me, I think, and thanks for the extras! I'm so excited I've been refreshing the tracking page what seems like every few hours. :p

What I think is really great about all this is that I've gotten several of my family members and friends excites about them. Usually, people don't give a second glance towards my aquariums, but ever since I started talking about axies it's gotten others interested. I may even have a few homes lined up if I end up with extras!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back