Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plant care

kaikoga

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a few questions about growing plants in my new 40gal tank. I got my axolotls about a year ago and it was the first time I ever owned any aquatic pets, so I feel like I am learning new things all the time!

My 2 axies are currently in a 20gal, and I have just recently begun to cycle the new 40gal tank. I have a large piece of driftwood in the new tank and today I tied a few plants onto it with fishing line: anubias, java fern, and amazon sword. My question is: what kind of things do I need to do in order to make sure the plants grow well? Do I need to add any sort of "plant food" to the water? Both tanks are in the basement and receive little to no sunlight, is this OK for the plants?

Thanks very much :D

HayleyK

Reaction score
If I'm thinking of the right plants they survive relatively well in colder waters and low light. Do not add anything to the water - most chemicals and fertilizers will affect your axolotl. Their poop should be sufficient.

keiko

Reaction score
You shouldn't use any chemicals or fertilizers, they're bad for your axies. The plants will use nitrates that bacteria produces from your axies' waste. Plants do need some light but anubias and java fern do pretty well with low light conditions that axies need as long as there is at least some light.

kaikoga

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for your replies! In that case I will just continue cycling the tank as normal. I had also been interested in growing some hairgrass or java moss on the floor of the tank. I am using a very fine sand substrate, is it possible for plants to grow directly in this?

Here is a picture of my (very unfinished) tank for reference. The driftwood is not yet waterlogged so I'm weighing it down with this rock, haha

Attachments

• Bn-CG5PIcAALl4v.jpg
    Bn-CG5PIcAALl4v.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 172

keiko

Reaction score
Yes, you can plant in fine sand too. I have some of my anubias and Java fern in fine sand and they're growing fine. I'm not sure though if you can get the moss to stick to the sand very well. I think my axies would rip it out before it would stick properly. I think it would be easier to get like big rocks and tie the moss on them and over time it might start spreading on the sand too. I don't know about hairgrass.

layna

Reaction score
I tried moss in sand, planted it well and covered it with a net thinking it would stop the axies pulling it up.
It was okay in the sand and stayed when i moved the net, however as soon as the sand moves, it comes out, it never seemed to get a proper grip :(

I have pothos plants with their roots sitting on a shower caddy shelf coming out of my tank (i cut a hole in my lid) i also have a few types of anubias, a load of elodea and some leafly thingies (i dont know the name) i also have marimo moss balls in there and some duckweed :) all are doing well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1