Personal preferences

Dunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just wandering what everyone's personal preferences are towards tank set ups.
Who prefers to make a tank as natural as possible vs. Who prefers to have a standard almost plain tank with just the essentials?
What are your reasons behind each?
Is it mainly due to cleaning and maintenance or due to having your axolotl the main focal point?
Also do you try to save on items you have around the home before set up or do you go and buy all new?

I have not set up one yet but I have read on the do's and do not's and I am aware of what not to do for safety of the animal as no strong currents, no gravel, and the water changes.

I am just looking for ideas and what might be the best route for me to take. I do have experience with fish tanks and have been quite successful with previous setups.

Also will appreciate any pictures on personal setups from readers. :)

Re: Personal prefrances

I like natural as well as a few fake plants for colour. It's more effort cleaning but hey - what's the point of having a pet and giving it bare essentials. Plus it looks better when you show it to people :) I've just almost finished my 3D background which will be a pain to clean however it's totally worth it.

This was my old set up which was still a pain to clean too, but it's no fun having bare bottom and 1 hide. It would look hideous in my room!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 135

I have never been a big fan of fake plants. Some are cool but I can never find myself happy with them. If I go a natural route I will most likely use java ferns and java moss or other low light plants. I'm not against fake as they can be set up and really bring a good look to a tank, but I can never get them to really work for me.

I like natural set up more. I have fine sand substrate, big rocks, many hides and a lot of plants. I think it's more fun for the axie plus plants and everything also help keep the water better. I absolutely disagree with people who keep their tanks pretty much empty to "show of" their axie. It's a living being, not just some cool thing to show your friends.

I like natural set up more. I have fine sand substrate, big rocks, many hides and a lot of plants. I think it's more fun for the axie plus plants and everything also help keep the water better. I absolutely disagree with people who keep their tanks pretty much empty to "show of" their axie. It's a living being, not just some cool thing to show your friends.
When I do setups I have a problem of always trying to one up people... At least that's what people tell me. I was thinking of a 65-75 gal setup with a 3D background with built in hides. Java fern and moss as the main plantation. Having the filtration set up behind the background with some sort of sponge set up around the bottom and edges to allow water flow yet stop the risk of injury, and have the water return come out above the background to limit the water current in the tank. I'm also looking to see if it would be safe to have tank mates such as fish or if they would just eat everything. I plan on having a few axolotls but want same sex so I don't become over ran with babies.

Your plans sound awesome. You'll have some very happy axies. I have a 240 litre tank (around 65 us gallons I think?) with just two axies at the moment and they love all the space and swim laps like olympic swimmers every evening. I could have up to 5 axies in a tank that size comfortably, but I think i'll settle with 3 or 4 just to give them a bit extra space to run around.

As for other tank mates than axolotls... What I've heard is that bigger fish might try to nip at axies gills thinking it's food and smaller fish would be eaten by the axolotl.

And if you want all your axies be the same sex, you'll have to buy them as adults so they can be sexed reliably.

Your plans sound awesome. You'll have some very happy axies. I have a 240 litre tank (around 65 us gallons I think?) with just two axies at the moment and they love all the space and swim laps like olympic swimmers every evening. I could have up to 5 axies in a tank that size comfortably, but I think i'll settle with 3 or 4 just to give them a bit extra space to run around.

As for other tank mates than axolotls... What I've heard is that bigger fish might try to nip at axies gills thinking it's food and smaller fish would be eaten by the axolotl.

And if you want all your axies be the same sex, you'll have to buy them as adults so they can be sexed reliably.
I hate this. I don't have the tank yet nor the items needed to make every thing and I have this massive plan going on in my mind of all I want to have done with the background. I'm planning on using some black PVC pipe for hides inside the wall behind some of the decorations so they have some dark hides where they can truly disappear. I'm also wanting to have a square PVC box in a bottom corner hooked up to the filtration system with a sponge inside for axolotl safety so they don't get sucked into it. I'm wanting a bigger square so it will lower the amount of pressure going into a small area so the current is less noticeable to them while allowing me to have a decent flow rate. Also planning on a water return area behind the wall with multiple outlets for the water to escape so there is not a strong current from one area. I hate having the plans in my head and not being able to build it yet. It will make me think of more things I want to do and drive me even more crazy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back