Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Grass or sand?

Alonyamin

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to put grass substrate in my aquarium but I don't know if it's good for my axolotls.
Will they eat the grass or demolish it?
Maybe should I get some sand but I heard it's very hard to clean sand in tanks.
What are you suggesting?

Dunny

Reaction score
You might want to look into plants you can attach to things. Some people use fishing line to tie plants to driftwood until they can attach themselves to it. I have also read about using hot glue to secure plants because it is non toxic and will not change your water parameters. I would try the glue with java moss to your hides, to plant potters, and to slabs of slate so you could pull them out and clean them if needed and still have the option to move around your tank with out having to deal with the sand. Also a few good sizes of slate can cover the bottom of your tank, it is visually appealing, and easy to clean. Just some ideas that won't break the bank or leave you with a headache.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Axies like to dig, so if you have planted substrate the axies are likely to destroy it.

Some people ahve used astroturf with great results if it's the aesthetic you're after, other than that get some low-light plants in heavy pots or secure the to ornaments.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1