Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible axolotl tank mates?

Dunny

Reaction score
I was wandering if any one had ever tried housing an axolotl with fish. If so how well did that work out and what type of fish did you use? I'm actually planning on setting up a larger tank, 65-75 gal tank with a 3D background with hides and live plants. I would just like to know if I should just get same sex axolotls to deture breeding and just stick with them, or if I could safely place fish in the set up that would both be safe for the fish to be around the axi's and the axi's safe from the fish.

Would this risk the chances for infections? I would of course have a temp holding tankt make sure they are safe as you should always do so you do not introduce sick fish. But I also do not want fish that will become an expensive meal for the axi.

emmyk

Reaction score
A lot of people will tell you fish are a big no no. I just have to say I wouldn't. There's two outcomes; fish trys snacking on axolotl, or the axolotl snacks on the fish. So if you wanted to establish a small, healthy community of guppies or minnows as feeders, that could work. Just might become snacks.... you could have a divider but that's not very pretty and the fish would have to be just right(not produce a lot of waste)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
As long as they're small enough to be eaten and don't cost a ton then you'll be fine unless you have sentimental connections to your small cheap fish.

Dunny

Reaction score
I will probably do some feeder fish from time to time, I was mainly wandering if there are fish that would be safe from them as well as them safe from the fish. Thanks though. :)

HayleyK

Reaction score
Don't forget you'll need to quaratine your feeder fish before introducing them!

Dunny

Reaction score
Don't forget you'll need to quaratine your feeder fish before introducing them!
Oh I know, that is a habit I have made before I ever add animals to a tank. I also like to with new plants after my tanks are set up to make sure they didn't bring any friends along with them.

Dunny

Reaction score
Thank you very much Jan, this info was very helpful in my planning, I think I will get a few minnows to help with the alive look of my tank while giving my future axolotls something to chase and eat at will. Especially since they are said to be safe and a healthy snack.

bethinak

Reaction score
I'm not a knowledgeable enough person to consider keeping multiple species in a single tank, but I know people who have successfully kept completely aquatic animals in a large paludarium with non aquatic animals (arboreal geckos for example). But these people are complete experts -one is a former zookeeper and the other a herp vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1