Calcium buildup

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cyn
I've started to notice these past few weeks that our water is leaving behind calcium buildup.
It's all over the bathtub faucet, the sink, the dishes when they come out of the dish washer, even on my nails when I come out of the bath and my hair feels harder. Now I see it leaving behind a bit on my axolotl filter and glass. How do I get rid of it in my tank and will it cause any problems for my axolotl tank and fish tank?

Do you have a water softener in your house? I do, which helps build up with appliances and such, but then salt isn't good for drinking water or my tanks. I have a small RO system for drinking water, so I either use that or well water directly from outside without the salt, then add prime to help remove minerals and nitrates for my aquariums. For fish I would then add aquarium salt, but I haven't added any yet to the axies as I haven't read enough about them needing or not needing it yet. That won't help you remove it, but that's what I do to help avoid the build up as much as possible :)

Axies like hard water - you shouldn't use water softener or RO water with axies.

If you live in a chalky or limestone area you will have a high calcium content in groundwater. You can use softener in appliances (washing machine, dishwasher etc), and you can get rid of calcium build up on things like taps with white vinegar or shop-bought products for removing limescale.

Calcium leaves deposits at the water line through evaporation, these can be removed with a simple wipe over with a clean cloth while it is still just a white powdery film. If you let it build up it wil need a bit more elbow grease to remove it, but a clean scouring pad should remove it without the need for chemicals. If it really won't come off them vinegar is the best solution rather than harsh chemicals, but it means a strip-down of the entire tank.

No RO? Good to know! That'll make my life quite a bit easier. Thanks :)

The water in my area is incredibly hard and alkaline. Having grown up here, calcium deposits are a fact of life for me. I have to use a razor blade in my tanks - a scrubber pad would take ages to work, and a soft cloth most definitely would not do a thing in my area. I have to be very careful, of course, but it works.

If the tank is empty, vinegar and elbow grease will work, as Auntie Jude said.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back