Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sudden Color Change - White Axie

xSarahmo

Reaction score
I have a bit of a mystery that hopefully you guys can help with!

I have a 3" Melanoid Albino that has turned pure white. He was a normal pink color last night, today after work I noticed he is pitch white! In the picture, there is another Melanoid albino, he was that same color yesterday.

Hopefully you will have some ideas? Is he sick? Should I keep him separated?

He has been living in a plastic tub with 4 other axies, all around the same size. Tap water with water conditioner. Daily feedings of frozen bloodworms, and daily 100% water changes. He is the only one who turned white, everyone else is fine! Other than the color changes he seems exactly the same, swimming and eating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 379

xSarahmo

Reaction score
Closer pic. Sorry they are just iPhone pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 351

Sassafras

Reaction score
It could be just lack of movement, hopefully he'll get his color back after he eats

Dunny

Reaction score
I have to say, that is really cool looking. I hope it is ok. If it is you should name it ghost. Seems fitting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1