Illness/Sickness: Wound or fungus?

ems

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone! I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some help.

I have owned two axolotls for about three years now and have had no trouble with them in the past. Yesterday whilst feeding them I noticed that one had a damaged back leg (see picture). The majority of the leg is quite red with white tissue/growth attached. I'm not sure if this is some sort of infection (it looks similar to cotton wool so maybe fungus?) or if it is an injury and now the limb is regenerating. She is not using the leg at all when walking around. The rest of the limbs and body appear to be fine.

I have given her three salt baths (one every three hours) with 1-2 teaspoons of salt per 1L of water. I tried to gently remove the white tissue with a cotton bud which didn't seem to bother her at all! She is still behaving and eating normally (no problem with appetite!)

I haven't had a problem with water conditions before and the temperature is about 18 degrees Celsius.

Any advice would be great! I am quite concerned and want to make I give her the right treatment. Thank you!

Sorry forgot to upload pictures!

kirk.jpg

kirk2.jpg

Those pictures aren't really clear enough to get a good look at the injury, but I'm not sure it's fungus. It looks more like dead flesh from the injury. It looks like she has been bitten or got her leg caught in something that has partially degloved the leg.

If you have a digital camera try taking pictures using the flash on a sports or action setting.

Salt baths should be given twice a day, any more than that and you could end up damaging your axie's slime coat. I'm not convinced she needs them anyway.

If she doesn't appear too bothered by the inury I would just keep an eye on her, maybe add some indian almond leaves to the tank to help prevent fungus and bacterial infections, and feed her normally. Axies heal well, and I think she will recover nicely with a bit of time and plenty of worms.

Thanks for the advice. I must have been distracted when I wrote that I was giving her salt baths every three hours - I have given her three since finding it yesterday, once every twelve hours! Thanks for the advice I will see how she goes :happy:

I agree with Auntie Jude. It looks like necrotic tissue to me rather than fungus. I would follow her advice - cease the salt baths, try Indian almond leaves in the tank, watch the leg closely and otherwise, just make sure water conditions are perfect,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back