UV Sterilizers?

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jeff
Anyone here use one? My tank has been a bit murky lately and the filter in it has no room for Purigen so thinking about getting a small submersible 24w UV sterilizer for it (50 gallon). Anyone have experience with these and have any info/tips?

Anyone here use one? My tank has been a bit murky lately and the filter in it has no room for Purigen so thinking about getting a small submersible 24w UV sterilizer for it (50 gallon). Anyone have experience with these and have any info/tips?
Great question. I'd like to know also. Mo only real worry would be the axolotl getting hit by the light somehow. I was watching YouTube a few weeks ago and a guy was working on one and got a quick flash of light in his eyes and couldn't see for a while. "That's what he claimed any ways." Might want to find a way to dampen the water pressure coming out and something in front to make sure they can't get sucked into it. I would imagine as long as you took the precautions needed you would be safe. They don't really change the water but mainly kill off water born bacteria and would help with most algae blooms. Can also help ensure no diseases would transfer and of they did would be much slower.

Amazon.com : SunSun JUP-01 9W UV Sterilizer Submersible Filter Pump : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies

This might be a better option for you. It looks like the other requires you to already have a powerhead, this one comes with one built it. Might place this one near the top so the current skins across the top or simply put some PVC infront of it with the current being directed upward instead of just out. Idk. Would have to get one and try it out. If you already have a powerhead then I wouldn't see much of an issue other than fittings. One review said they had to buy different tubing to fit to his powerhead. I do plan on one for my minnow and shrimp tanks though... haha

I have a sunsun sterilizer that works great. Actually, I believe it is the exact one Dunny linked. The uv tube is inside the filter , so an axolotl shouldnt be exposed unless they are taking the filter apart. :D I set it up so the outflow is just above the waterline , and it rains back down against the glass. Works great for algae or bacterial blooms. I only run it as needed, then take it out when the problem is cleared. So far i only needed it right after moving when my tanks were adjusting to a new water supply. The problem was cleared in about 3 days or so for a 40 gal tank. It works well for me because I have several large tanks, and I can easily move it around to any tank that needs it. It's a pretty good sized unit, so it might be a bit big for someone with a smaller sized tank.

I have a sunsun sterilizer that works great. Actually, I believe it is the exact one Dunny linked. The uv tube is inside the filter , so an axolotl shouldnt be exposed unless they are taking the filter apart. :D I set it up so the outflow is just above the waterline , and it rains back down against the glass. Works great for algae or bacterial blooms. I only run it as needed, then take it out when the problem is cleared. So far i only needed it right after moving when my tanks were adjusting to a new water supply. The problem was cleared in about 3 days or so for a 40 gal tank. It works well for me because I have several large tanks, and I can easily move it around to any tank that needs it. It's a pretty good sized unit, so it might be a bit big for someone with a smaller sized tank.
Cool, so for once I picked a good product... Lol what sizes are your tanks Rachel1? I'm just wandering I have been pricing 75 gallon tank packages from petsmart and Wal-Mart online. So far I have found some good deals on the tanks and stands. Might go with different lights and filters. But if I can save money on the tank and stands that allows me more for personalisation in the setups and all I plan to build.

Cool, so for once I picked a good product... Lol what sizes are your tanks Rachel1? I'm just wandering I have been pricing 75 gallon tank packages from petsmart and Wal-Mart online. So far I have found some good deals on the tanks and stands. Might go with different lights and filters. But if I can save money on the tank and stands that allows me more for personalisation in the setups and all I plan to build.

Check out craigslist I got a 50 breeder for $50 and a fluval u3 for $10

Yup, craigslist is a great place, you can find a lot of tanks people want to unload quickly. I have a whole bunch of 40 breeders that I picked up when the local PetQuarters shut down .

Check out craigslist I got a 50 breeder for $50 and a fluval u3 for $10
Anywhere around me they are wanting too much for too little, that or they want me to take all their fish and gravel along with the tank and absolutely won't sell fish separate. That or they have a lot of small tanks and must sell them as a lot and not as individuals. Ay least Woh dealing with a store I know they equipment will work, is new, and if damaged when I buy they will accept returns. Don't quite get that with most people now days. Some out there place a guarantee on equipment, but not most. And around me locally on craigslist what I would save on a tank, I would loose buying a stand and light source. I already know better than to rely on kit sold filtration, but with a 75 gallon tank, stand, and a t5 or a t8 light sold as a package from Wal-Mart is completely in a price range I am happy with.

Anywhere around me they are wanting too much for too little, that or they want me to take all their fish and gravel along with the tank and absolutely won't sell fish separate. That or they have a lot of small tanks and must sell them as a lot and not as individuals. Ay least Woh dealing with a store I know they equipment will work, is new, and if damaged when I buy they will accept returns. Don't quite get that with most people now days. Some out there place a guarantee on equipment, but not most. And around me locally on craigslist what I would save on a tank, I would loose buying a stand and light source. I already know better than to rely on kit sold filtration, but with a 75 gallon tank, stand, and a t5 or a t8 light sold as a package from Wal-Mart is completely in a price range I am happy with.

You must be loaded then! I could never buy anything from walmart, petco, petsmart, etc that wasn't crazy on sale. I got a 15 gallon LED tank kit for $40 at petco which was half off because the ac adapter for the LED lights wasn't in it. That was still a good chunk of money for a little 15 gallon tank... I can't imagine anyone actually paying $80 for that thing lmao. I understand how you feel about the craigslist thing, some people don't understand that used needs to be less than what they got it from the store for lol. I was searching for about a month before I finally found my 50 gallon for $50 which came with a fluval u3 and a 36" flourescent strip light, everything worked good. New fish tanks are just ridiculously expensive unless it's the $1/gallon sale.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back