Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Envirothon Madness

Jefferson

Reaction score
Well, after a long hiatus from salamandering due to a lack of success and trying to market my new book, I was back at it this week as I traveled with my fellow High School Envirothon teammates up to the scenic Traverse City area of Michigan. After staying the first night in cabins, I had bagged a Green Frog from a little pool in the mixed woodland hills, but more fun was to come. A steady thunderstorm rolled through the area that night and in the morning, making conditions ideal for finding my first salamander of the year--an Eastern Red-Backed, with my best friend Allen that morning under a beech log. Later in the day, skies cleared, but the herping only got better. After taking the grassland test, Allen and I found a Blue Racer under a piece of old tin in a small valley, and yelled as we shunted tire and tin about the hill in an effort to capture it, thus showing my teammates just how crazy this normally even-keeled politico and guitarist can get given some herps. One member of our team hilariously remarked, "I had never seen Nathan kick into gear like that; it was like he was ahead of his own feet." Indeed I was. All in all, with 3rd in the state under our belts and some refreshing herping under mine, not a bad little adventure. Pics available on the miherpatlas.org by putting my name (Richendollar, Nathan) into the "recorded by" box, and all comments welcome.

Jefferson

Reaction score
Fair enough, I just wanted to attach the pictures this morning. Here they are.

Attachments

• envirothon 2014 008.jpg
    envirothon 2014 008.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 230
  • envirothon 2014 009.jpg
    envirothon 2014 009.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 197
  • envirothon 2014 013.jpg
    envirothon 2014 013.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 197
  • envirothon 2014 002.jpg
    envirothon 2014 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 187
  • envirothon 2014 010.jpg
    envirothon 2014 010.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 185

sde

Reaction score
Cool finds!

Wow! I wish the Washington herp atlas was like that, where you can record what you find, but its not. Sounds like a blast of fun though. -Seth

Jefferson

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that a state like Washington famed for its environmental protection would not be able to best Michigan in a herp atlas, but thanks for the compliments, and, yes, it was a blast. Glad you enjoyed the pics!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1