Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sponge Filter Help

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
Okay so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to filters.
I have a 3ft long, 180l tank with 2 axies in it. I have an internal filter in it which is second hand and to be honest i have no idea what make or model it is or whether its even suitable for the tank size. About 1 month ago i stupidly changed all the media in it and my cycle crashed. I have since been doing daily 40-50% water changes. The levels have stayed at ;
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 40
Im hoping it will fully cycle again soon.
Anyway more to the point. I would prefer to have sponge filters instead in the aquarium and get rid of the second hand internal filter i have in there. I have been looking at the Black Bio Double Sponges on amazon.
Questions:
Can i just have sponge filters in the tank? Or do i have to have another filter going as well?
How many sponge filters would i need for 180l tank?
I dont want my cycle to crash again. How long would i have to leave the new sponge filters going for before i can take out the old internal filter?
And lastly, should i wait for my tank to fully cycle before adding and changing the filters? Or add new filters in whilst its cycling and leave the old filter in?
Sorry if I've rambled, hope this all makes sense! Any help, filter suggestions etc would be much appreciated :confused:

smurfrider

Reaction score
I only have two of these in my 208L tank
Amazon.com : Jardin Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter, 4-1/2-Inch : Pet Supplies
I used two because I have four axies in there. I've never needed any other type of filtration, ammonia and nitrate are always at zero. Since you only have two axies, you might be able to get away with one of the filters you were looking at, but I would use two of the size you are looking at. I don't know how long it would take though to get a new filter going. I don't have any experience with changing filters. Hopefully someone else will know.

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
I only have two of these in my 208L tank
Amazon.com : Jardin Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter, 4-1/2-Inch : Pet Supplies
I used two because I have four axies in there. I've never needed any other type of filtration, ammonia and nitrate are always at zero. Since you only have two axies, you might be able to get away with one of the filters you were looking at, but I would use two of the size you are looking at. I don't know how long it would take though to get a new filter going. I don't have any experience with changing filters. Hopefully someone else will know.

Thats really helpful thank you :) ive been looking at the UK amazon, doesnt seem to be as much choice or reviews as the US one. The filter you put does look good. Would probably get 2 as i would like to add another one of axies into this tank at some point. And i suppose you cant OVER filter a tank.... Or can you :confused:

Bette

Reaction score
In my opinion and from personal experience, I would only use a hydro brand, pro reticulated sponge filter in an axie tank. Better filtration and flow:happy:

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
Cool I'll have a look into them as well thank you :)

Some more questions :

What size air pump?
I understand with filter you should use 4x litres per hour than the tank. So should i aim to get around 800l an hour air pump?
Also if i was to get 2 filters, would i need 2 air pumps? Or can both go on 1?

Sorry about all the silly questions!

Bette

Reaction score
I highly recommend the JW Pet Company Fusion 500 air pump. It should be more than sufficient for your needs! The power is adjustable, and it is very quiet. Check Amazon.
And you would only need one!

KevinMarshall

Reaction score
Hi Filtration and water quality are always subject that attract a lot of attention and quite rightly so. But as with most things you can make things as complicated or as simple as you like. I like simple. Sponge filters are simple air lifts they all work in the same way essentially so just pick one that you can afford and I guess like the look of freestanding or sucker mounted). Try Ebay or even better your local Aquarium shop they will also advise you on the size of pump you need especially if you want to drive 2 filters. Also If the power filter works why worry changing it and if you cant find replacement filter media improvise I use soap free (green) scouring pads in my filter canister but I have also seen nylon scourers used old tights packed with activated carbon and tied off. But that is possibly best left to another thread. Hope this helps.

regards

Kevin

Kaini

Reaction score
Can i just have sponge filters in the tank? Or do i have to have another filter going as well?
How many sponge filters would i need for 180l tank?
I dont want my cycle to crash again. How long would i have to leave the new sponge filters going for before i can take out the old internal filter?
And lastly, should i wait for my tank to fully cycle before adding and changing the filters? Or add new filters in whilst its cycling and leave the old filter in?
Sorry if I've rambled, hope this all makes sense! Any help, filter suggestions etc would be much appreciated :confused:

1. Yes, you can run only sponge in your tank.

2. for that size of a tank I would get two or three large sponges

3. I would leave the sponges in with the internal filter for 3 weeks or so to let the new beneficial bacteria colonize on the sponges

4. I would add the new filters and let the whole thing cycle, it will cycle faster with more room for the bacteria to colonize.

I would suggest the Tetra whisper air pump myself - I have two of them and they're SO QUIET and work great.
You can get them for any size tank, here: Amazon.com : Tetra 77851 Whisper Air Pump, 10-Gallon : Aquarium Air Pumps : Pet Supplies

And they're super cheap!

snuggly time

Reaction score
I second the tetra whisper. I have two in my bedroom and they're very quiet and quite powerful!

I would personally buy one air pump per filter. Then if one breaks at least you have an air supply in the tank. - This also probably makes it easier on the pump and it may last longer.

Bette

Reaction score
I second the tetra whisper. I have two in my bedroom and they're very quiet and quite powerful!

I would personally buy one air pump per filter. Then if one breaks at least you have an air supply in the tank. - This also probably makes it easier on the pump and it may last longer.

If you have two sponge filters, the fusion 500 would power both fine, but if it was a smaller less powerful pump, then definitely get 1 per sponge filter.

smurfrider

Reaction score
when looking for a pump, try and find one rated for the depth of your tank, otherwise it may not be able to get enough air through the sponge. My filters are hooked up to separate outlets on the same pump. It's just an aquatech from wal-mart. At first I tried having pumps on the same line, but I could never get them to have equal amounts of air thru the sponges.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!