Anyone used fluval u2filter?

spot26

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I got a new fluval u2 filter today for my 2ft tank. I thought it would be good because it has adjustable flow settings. One of the settings is a integrated spray bar providing even, gentle flow for planted aquariums. I thought this would be perfect for my 2 little axies (12cm).
So i turned it on....and it blows my axies all over the tank!!!
Has anyone used this filter with success? And if so, in what size tank?

I don't have any experience with Fluval but I did find my canister filter was a little strong. Could you face the spray bar so it directs the flow at the back wall? This is what I did to try and disperse the flow a little. It worked pretty well and the axolotls seem much happier. Although I have a 3D background on the wall that helps a lot so not sure how it would work on a bare tank wall.

Could you place an ornament under the spray bar to disperse the flow?

The spray bar is actually vertical and it's a part of the filter so it's all one piece. There's a nozzle at the top and at the bottom then the spray bar in the middle so there's 3 settings. All are quite strong.
I also have a fluval canister filter on another tank with 2 bigger axies ( approx 15-18cm) and i have the flow turned right down. Thought i'd save money and get a internal filter this time but i think it was a bad idea.

Hey, I own the Fluval U3 filter for my 50 gallon (36x18x18) tank. It's a good filter, I don't replace the carbon cartridges in it, well I don't use them I just have the sponges and the ceramic bio media in the middle. The U2 is smaller, so it should be fine in your tank. One thing that I just recently did that I really really really really think is a good idea is I put it sideways near the top of the water on the side of the tank. This opened up a lot of space near the bottom of the tank for them as well as creates a little platform that they can sit on, the pull on the grates on top isn't enough to hurt them and there's a few spots (on the u3 atleast) that don't have any grates and are just flat pieces of plastic they can hang out on. I use the bottom outflow, I originally planned to use the spray bar pointed up but it created a really strong current on the bottom of my tank, I had an incident where I put bloodworms in their dish and came back a few minutes later and they were literally everywhere. Had to spend a while cleaning it up but oh well lesson learned. I use the bottom outflow and on the U3 you can adjust the flow rate, idk if you can on the U2 but I think you can. It's a neat little filter, I wish there was more space to customize it, would like to be able to squeeze some purigen in there somewhere..

Thanks, thats a great idea. I will try it tomorrow. I hope it works because i've just got a small sponge filter in there at the moment and it's not doing a very good job.
I've looked for an adjustment for the flow but i dont think it has one.

Thanks, thats a great idea. I will try it tomorrow. I hope it works because i've just got a small sponge filter in there at the moment and it's not doing a very good job.
I've looked for an adjustment for the flow but i dont think it has one.

It should be on the circular thing that lets you change the outflow, there should be a little line and if you put it to the right of the line it will have a lesser flow. Maybe it's different on the U2.

I use the fluval U2 for my axy. I have made my own DIY spray bar out of an air pump tube.
shopping
exactly like that 1. I use it in my 90 litre tank and I have put lots of little holes in the tube and it doesn't affect my axy at all. Hope that helps :)

I use the fluval U2 for my axy. I have made my own DIY spray bar out of an air pump tube.
shopping
exactly like that 1. I use it in my 90 litre tank and I have put lots of little holes in the tube and it doesn't affect my axy at all. Hope that helps :)

Hi how have you connected the bar to filter thanks in. Advance

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back