Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unsure on sand

Painless Silver

Reaction score
Quikrete sand is usually very fine. But if you feel unsure you can always sift it into a bucket.

as for washing the sand. Take a large bucket and fill it about 1/4 with sand and run water into the bucket until the water turns clear or near clear. This can take quite a while. Ill see if I can find a video link.

Jon Aaron

Reaction score
To be honest, cleaning play sand is a pain in the butt and will take a while. It's not difficult, though. The key, I've found, is to work in small batches, as it tends to contains quite a bit of silt. Just rinse it several times with water until the water runs as clear as you can get it.

Honestly, I've never been able to get the water to run n off completely clear. Usually, what I strive for is a very faint haze. The filter usually removes any traces that don't sink to the bottom over time. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
I tried the whole playsand thing to save money. I gave up after a few days of rinsing with not much luck . I ended up dumping all of it. I decided to purchase stoney brook sand and have stuck with it ever since. Though more expensive i think sand designed specifically for aquarium use looks better and is far less of a hassle !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!