Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pleurodeles waltl

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I currently have 3 P. waltl in a 20 Long tank. 2 of the wild type males I received from one breeder here back in July have been recently throwing up their worms. I usually feed these chopped nightcrawler I buy from Walmart, when they're cut they aren't usually even 1" long. They will devour them the day I offer them, but after that the day or two after feeding, I usually see the pieces of worm, looking practically decayed, laying on the plants and on the substrate. Because they are not keeping in their worms, they have been losing some weight, but are able to keep pellets down(HBH Newt and Salamander Bites). I didn't think it was the worms because the leucistic newt I received from a different breeder keeps them down fine, and so does my Axolotl and my Tiger Salamander(A. t. tigrinum). So, my questions are,

1) Is there a problem with Canadian Night Crawlers purchased from a Walmart?
2) Can someone recommend a different brand of pellets that might be nutritionally better for newts and axolotls? I just ran out of the HBH stuff so I wanna know if I should just buy more of those or get a new type of pellet
3) If its not the worms, do you think theres something wrong with the 2 newts? They used to be able to keep down worms fine, so I don't know if theres something wrong with them, or if they changed their brand of worms or what.(I can always buy some worms from the petstore they're just like 2x more expensive)

Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks, Aaron

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the setup if this helps in anyway lol
e3e8epem.jpg

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
After looking at some other threads, I think I'm going to try cutting them even smaller and see how it works out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!