On to soil!

jalauren

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, hi again everyone.

Today's question is about soil. I really want to plant some stuff in me tank. What are some cheap options for soil I can use?

Soil in an aquatic environment is going to make a huge mess. Your water will look like a mud puddle. I would recommend rinsed play sand if you want a natural looking substrate for axi's over 5" long.

Sorry, I think you misunderstand me. What I want is a planted tank with soil under sand, not just a soil only tank.

I know a lot of people just use little aquarium plant pots or tied plants all over rocks, driftwood, etc.

Sweet! That's what I bought :) But anyway could you list some plants that work well in it?

With an axi, I would just stay away from soil, they like to dig and uproot plants, with soil under sand you will still have a mess. Ancre your plants to rocks and driftwood for best results.

Shoot for low light plants that do well in cold water. Anubis, Java fern and moss, crypts will all do well. Floating plants are nice, too. I have pond plants in my biggest tank-hardy water lilies and water fringe. They need a bit more light, so if you go with these give your axi 's plenty of hides where they can be in the dark if they prefer.

Can also use duck weed with more light, will grow like crazy, is safe to eat, and will provide plenty of cover inside the tank

Rachel1 is correct and even googling low light plants will give you some good options. Just make sure you read up in their care. Some like to be planted and some don't.

I love having crystalwart floating around my tanks. Gives good light cover and my axies like to hold onto it to float. I also weave java moss onto hides and it completely takes over. I had enough crystalwart to half cover a 10 gallon and now, three months later, it could cover an entire 40 breeder! And even if you don't purchase duckweed it will probably turn up in your tank with some other plant you buy. I suspect mine hitched a ride on the crystalwart. Have fun and be prepared for the axies to uproot everything (hence my preference for floating or weaving plants) :happy:

What do you use to weave your plants onto hides? String? or do you just secure the plant with its own roots and leaves? :happy:

Fishing line is great, its fine in water and is see through :)

If your going to use cotton ect make sure the dye doesnt leech into your water

What they said! I use light and crystalwort too and java or Christmas moss on objects, Christmas moss likes slate and driftwood and has a pretty form. I wrap tubes with Java moss, they make great hides and play objects. Mangroves need light but provide amazing filtration and most fish love their root structures! Duckweed I swear just spawns itself. My chickens love it lol. I've also been known to make little bags of fishing net, soaked filter carbon and a fertilizer tablet, tie w string and grin as critters push plants around unharmed. I also plant the same sort of things in jars in tanks I plan on modifying. Sink the now (potted) plant, and nothing can damage the roots and the plant still does its job. I hate deciding against a plant and making a mess as I pull the loose roots from the substrate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back