Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Hayleigh
Helloooo everyone,
haven't posted in a while.

I have an albino Axolotl named Poe.
Not sure of age but she's 20cm from head to tail tip.
I have had her for 11 weeks and have observed the normal gill colour changes - darker when exercising etc.
However!
Today I've noticed that the gill stalks are purple.
Some research has told me it's normal for a Leucistic and/or wild type to change colour this way but I'm pretty certain Poe's an albino.
Water parameters are all normal and she's alone in a 26 gallon tank.
she usually has earth worms but I found out yesterday that my dad gave her some raw pork while I was out.
But she's eating normally today and acting her usual self.

Any advice would be appreciated because I'm stumped.

All you're seeing is venous blood - which is dark red - under the skin in the veins of your axie. There is nothing to worry about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back