@#$*% tank won't cycle

bethinak

Reaction score
Country
United States
So we've had our tank set up for about three weeks and there is no sign of ammonia levels dropping. My thoughts are to empty and start over with something I am sure is PURE Ammonia (it was difficult to tell if the original ammonia had surfactant in it) which I have since found at ACE hardware.

In the meantime, our axolotls come next week. Advise me on the best way to keep 3 3'-4 inch juvies until the tank is cycled. I can buy whatever.

Sooo, unfortunatly, in the world of cycling, 3 weeks really isnt a long time.

If you ammonia source has anything other than 'ammonia' on the back, then it probs isnt pure ammonia, i used a brand called 'kleen off' to cycle my tank.

Can you get hold of any media from an already cycled tank? A bit of sponge from the filter or some substrate ect? This will really speed up your cycle.

Other than that, keep the ammonia at 4ppm and just...wait :D

give this website a little read if your struggling http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html just change the 90% pwc at the end to daily 30% changes to reduce the nitrAte

To keep your little axies, you can just pop them in a food safe tub (with a cover over so they cant jump out) But making sure they still get air (pin holes in the lid)
Then just change their water 100% daily to fresh dechlorinated water. Its easier to have two tubs and just transfer them to the new tub daily than trying to change all their water in the tub theyre in.

Good luck!

Do you have a lot of biological media in your tank? Whether it be sand, ornaments, a filter running with lots of media in it... Ammonia feeds bacteria which needs a place to live, if you don't have enough places for bacteria to live then you won't have enough bacteria to start eating the Ammonia. What I would do is get some feeder fish (THIS IS SAFE, NOT TORTURE, READ ON.) and put them in the tank after a big water change, and just do water changes every day or every other day.. The only thing dangerous about having a tank that isn't perfectly cycling is ammonia, which daily or every other day, depending on the size of the tank and how many feeder fish, water changes will keep it at bay and they'll live just fine and won't be hurt.
This will keep your tank with a fresh source of ammonia, you won't have to remember to constantly add ammonia, the fish will be fine, and then when you add your axolotls they can eat the fish! It's a win win! You don't have to do any of this, if adding ammonia and doing all of that jazz sounds easier then do it that way.
How big is the tank? What kind of filtration do you have for it?

Sooo, unfortunatly, in the world of cycling, 3 weeks really isnt a long time.

If you ammonia source has anything other than 'ammonia' on the back, then it probs isnt pure ammonia, i used a brand called 'kleen off' to cycle my tank.

Can you get hold of any media from an already cycled tank? A bit of sponge from the filter or some substrate ect? This will really speed up your cycle.

Other than that, keep the ammonia at 4ppm and just...wait :D

give this website a little read if your struggling The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community just change the 90% pwc at the end to daily 30% changes to reduce the nitrAte

To keep your little axies, you can just pop them in a food safe tub (with a cover over so they cant jump out) But making sure they still get air (pin holes in the lid)
Then just change their water 100% daily to fresh dechlorinated water. Its easier to have two tubs and just transfer them to the new tub daily than trying to change all their water in the tub theyre in.

Good luck!

The original cheapo ammonia I found didn't have any sort of ingredients or anything. We were able to find the ACE janitorial pure ammonia after that. I'll just restart with fresh water and that ammonia.

I do have a cycled tank that I can use media from . I did this but still no dice. No ammonia drop after three weeks. I didn't think we'd be done by now but somehow I thought we would be started. :crazy:

I will buy some tubs on the way home from work!

Do you have a lot of biological media in your tank? Whether it be sand, ornaments, a filter running with lots of media in it... Ammonia feeds bacteria which needs a place to live, if you don't have enough places for bacteria to live then you won't have enough bacteria to start eating the Ammonia. What I would do is get some feeder fish (THIS IS SAFE, NOT TORTURE, READ ON.) and put them in the tank after a big water change, and just do water changes every day or every other day.. The only thing dangerous about having a tank that isn't perfectly cycling is ammonia, which daily or every other day, depending on the size of the tank and how many feeder fish, water changes will keep it at bay and they'll live just fine and won't be hurt.
This will keep your tank with a fresh source of ammonia, you won't have to remember to constantly add ammonia, the fish will be fine, and then when you add your axolotls they can eat the fish! It's a win win! You don't have to do any of this, if adding ammonia and doing all of that jazz sounds easier then do it that way.
How big is the tank? What kind of filtration do you have for it?

Its a bare bottom tank because the axolotls are small - I did have mopani and some decor in it. I was testing twice daily and never had to add ammonia. :cool:

You can still add plants and deco in there, but as long as your filter turns over 3-4 times your tank volume, it should hold enough bacteria.

Just wack in around 4ppm of the new ammonia, turn on the filter 24/7 and wait a few days, then id add some media from your established tank to the inside your cycling tanks filter and then just continue to wait until the ammonia eventually starts to drop :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back