Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to axie eggs

CamoMom99

Reaction score
I had 60 eggs shipped to me Wednesday... they are due to hatch monday... They still have not hatched and i will sit their and watch the eggs and i see NO movement at all.. Im getting 300 more eggs today due to hatch Monday also... Is not movement normal.. should i wait till Monday or Tuesday before i assume they died or what ... They are in room temp spring bottled glallon water i bought at the store :confused

Attachments

• babez.jpg
    babez.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 369

deliriah

Reaction score
Don't give up hope yet. I've had batches that didn't move much at all. They still look okay to me. When they die, or just stop developing you can usually see the embryos begin to decay. Eggs get fuzzy and the basic shape of the babies becomes distorted looking.

rachel1

Reaction score
If that pic is current, those larvae aren 't developed enough to hatch yet. They will have obvious tiny gills developed when they are ready, and they will be longer. Axolotl.org has a great embryo development log for step by step pics of developing eggs.

layna

Reaction score
I agree with the above, when the axies are ready to hatch they litrally look like tiny legless axies :D they have gills and eyes and everything! Hatching date depends on heat and the general individual development time. ive had eggs that hatch 5 days apart but were all layed the same day

CamoMom99

Reaction score
Okay well u can kinda see tiny gills but barley and the eggs looks all fuzzy looking

Attachments

• eye1.jpg
    eye1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 199
  • eye2.jpg
    eye2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 215
  • eye3.jpg
    eye3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 209

CamoMom99

Reaction score
Thank u everyone... i now have 64 hatched babies... still waiting on about 300 more eggs to hatch

Attachments

• 64 hatched.jpg
    64 hatched.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 247
  • unhatched.jpg
    unhatched.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 200
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1