Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wanting to get plants

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Does anyone have any sources on good plants for an axolotl tank at a lower price? I love the look of a nice heavily planted tank so I have been trying to find reputable sources. I am looking for the hardiest variety I can get since I am new to aquarium care and moss balls since I really like the look of them but most of the ones I have seen were very tiny.

Also does anyone have frogbit in their tank? I heard it can work well in an axolotl tank and I wanted a variety of floating plant.

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Petco often has huge aquarium and plant sales. Get plants suitable for low light and cool temps. I have duckweed , hornwort, eludea, amazon swords, and java ferns.

Does anyone have any sources on good plants for an axolotl tank at a lower price? I love the look of a nice heavily planted tank so I have been trying to find reputable sources. I am looking for the hardiest variety I can get since I am new to aquarium care and moss balls since I really like the look of them but most of the ones I have seen were very tiny.

Also does anyone have frogbit in their tank? I heard it can work well in an axolotl tank and I wanted a variety of floating plant.

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
I just got a couple of plants from there today since they are the only place near me that doesnt keep fish and snails in with their plants. Unfortunately, they werent on sale ... I didnt know they had aquarium plant sales! I did get two anibius species and some amazon swords though to start.
I heard from somewhere that duckweed can caught caught in your filter which is why I didnt get some earlier and was looking into frogbit. Do you have any problems with it?

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Yes that can be an issue, i have had duckweed break 2 of my bio wheel filters. They are excellent for sucking up nitrates and they provide good cover but yes you need to make sure they can not get up into your filtration system

I just got a couple of plants from there today since they are the only place near me that doesnt keep fish and snails in with their plants. Unfortunately, they werent on sale ... I didnt know they had aquarium plant sales! I did get two anibius species and some amazon swords though to start.
I heard from somewhere that duckweed can caught caught in your filter which is why I didnt get some earlier and was looking into frogbit. Do you have any problems with it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1