Floating Lotl

forester

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kat
I've been gone for a few days, and she was fine when I left. But now, Momo is floating. It looks like she's bloated, and she's swimming furiously to get to the bottom of the tank, but can't make it. I thought she was dead when I came in, because she was on her side with her foot out of the water. But she moved when I got closer.

She apparently bit the other axie while I was got too, because he looks like he has skin missing from his leg.

What should I do? I already have one lotl in the fridge (not real cold, it's just the only way I can keep a small container cold enough), because she was injured. She's getting sicker all the time too.

first put her in a container with just enough water so she can touch the bottom, that will remove a lot of stress from her

then check in the forum, it might be impaction?

Especially juveniles sometimes get air stuck in their stomach/guts. Put her in a tub with water just enough to cover her and put her in a fridge (don't forget to change the water). They're usually fine after a couple of days.

You don't need to fridge an axie unless:
1. You are SURE it's impacted or has eaten gravel and is struggling to pass waste.
2. It's on it's last legs or severly injured

Axies heal best at 10C, so an average fridge is a little too cold.

A floating axie certainly does not need fridging - low water level or plenty of things to hide under should be fine. Most axies pass a bubble in a day or 2. If your axie appears bloated it could easily be an air bubble - if you post a pic we can see if it's just bloated in the tummy (air bubbles or constipation) or bloated all over (indicating something else).

It's just in a tummy. She's been able to get to the bottom, but then floats again later. I'm pretty sure it isn't impaction, because I doubt that she's eaten anything that would cause it. (No rocks or sand in the tank; she only eats earth worms).

She's not a juvie though. She's two years old.

I'll keep the temperature about 10 and the water level low. Thanks!

I have four juvies and one is a pig. Sooooo fat! It floats about some of the time but color and attitude are good. Strength is good. Swims to the bottom and stays there but it is the only one that floats about. Gas? Bloating? It keeps looking in the feeding area for more food! What to do?

Sounds like air, mine often sit on the air bubble thing and eat the air, not because they're under fed, but be sue they are silly then they end up floating.

I defrosted frozen blood worms and almost drip it on their mouths so they eat it, I could see the bubbles going through them, lucky one of mine is albino and she's a bit see through when she has blood worms inside, doesn't take long for her to shift it though.

Long as the axolotl can eat it will help shift the air through.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back