Axie with back legs mutilated

cornflakegrl

Reaction score
Display Name
Vanessa
Hi,

A tiny axie (about 1 1/2-2" long, very thin) arrived at our store yesterday. This morning both of his hind legs were almost completely destroyed. The very short stubs are red with what looks like bones hanging off - no flesh. There doesn't seem to be any fungus, but I'm concerned about possible septicemia or other infections.
Other than putting him in his own cycled 10 gallon, staying on top of the water quality, and plumping him up (I have earthworms, live blackworms, salmon and sinking carnivore pellets and frozen bloodworms -the latter being occasional treats for my larger Axies), is there anything else I can do? I was wondering about fridging and salt baths, but since there is no apparent fungus would that be inappropriate? Also, since he is so skinny I didn't know if fridging would be more detrimental.
He has eaten some blackworms today, but definitely doesn't have an appetite like he should. Sorry I don't have any pictures, and thank you for your time.

Ever had salt in a wound? It sucks and it would for an axolotl, salt baths are only for a fungus. You can try soaking Indian almond leaves in the tank. The tannins will help soothe and heal the skin as well as providing a mild anti fungal protection. I would avoid fridging also. That's more for impaction or severely sick/injured axolotl waiting to go to the vets.. Other than that you've got everything else right :)

I'm with Hayley. I definitely wouldn't fridge for poorly legs. My advice would be a quarantine tank with 100% daily water changes and lots of earthworms (and also all the treats you have stored there! What a lucky axxie!)

I am also a dedicated tea bath addict for situations like these. To tea bath, simply brew one cup of black tea (any black tea will do, just as long as it has no flavourings like herbal or fruit flavours - Tesco Value or any kind will do) per 10 liters of water. Allow it to go stone cold and don't add milk or sugar. Pour in enough of the tea to discolour the water into the quarantine tank. Nice, easy and effective. You can even hold on to the tea and replace it daily with the water changes (if you do, use a dark mug so you don't stain any lighter coloured mugs with tannins).

That said, that's what you want - the tannins from the tea have a mild antibacterial effect, tighten the pores to keep infection out and also soothe the slime coat. Bonus :)

I have never used it on an axolotl that size, so use with caution. I am unsure if it will harm him at that size. Has anyone else ever used it on one that tiny?

It may be better to use Hayley's Indian Almond Leaves if you are unsure. They have pretty much the same effect :) Hang on to the tea bath recipe though. It's marvellous for older axolotls if they get injured.

A mild anti-fungal sounds perfect, and I do have access to Indian Almond leaves. Thanks for clearing me up on the treatments. He's still eating, and the dangly remaining limb bits appear to have dropped off.
The tea bath recipe is excellent! I will definitely hang on to it. I would also like to know if it's safe for little guys.
Thanks again for the help!

I would say it's safe for juveniles but perhaps use a milder dosage

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back