Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

VinnyMacC

VinnyMacC

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this site was recommended to me while looking for an axolotl of my own. I have never owned a salamander before ... its not like I didn't want to, Ive always had a fascination with amphibians! I also love fish, tanks, planted tanks and marine tanks. I am lucky enough to own a few of each. one of the main reason I havnt ventured into amphibians until now is the fact that after the larval stage they leave the water, now there is nothing wrong with this little transition most all amphibians go thru but it was not ideal due to the set ups I have and would be willing to maintain .i also couldn't bare the thought of an animal transitioning , crawling out of the tank and meeting its doom on the floor of my home. there is one last strong hold , and that is the axolotl. why not share this creature with my family?

I think everyone at one point or another is confronted with a picture of an axolotl, we see it and think " oh boy!!! what a wonderfully bazar little creature this is!" or the famous " awwww !! its so cute...I want one! " after seeing said picture and having our few seconds of yearning we store the information received somewhere deep within the depths of our brains...until one day we see another picture witch reminds us of the first time we had been confronted with this oddity...... years from now I will not just remember the first confrontation of a picture, but will have had the privilege to behold such an amazing creature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1