To Feed Or Not To Feed?

VinnyMacC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive noticed my axos get lazy as hell after a good meal * i don't blame them i would to*

the question is should i limit feeding so they become more active and scavenge about as they most likely would in the wild? how much do you feed at a time and how often ? do you stuff your axos or have them on a strick regimen ? id love to hear exact feeding regimens as i feel they are personal....its a sacred task and in each feeding hides a little opportunity for an intimate connection.At least... this is my belief :cool:

I feed my axies every 3 days and I usually let them eat as much as they want to. I find it suits my axies best. They're now 7 months old and around 22-24 cm (haven't measured them recently).

These are the instructions I got from the breeder when I got my axies:
"Feeding frequency depends of the animal's size:
1cm to 7-8cm: twice a day
7-8cm to 10cm: every day
10cm to 12cm: five times a week
12cm to 16cm: three times a week
16cm to 22cm: two times a week
Over 22cm: once a week
-Over 10 cm the amount of food to be given per times should be about the size of the animal's head."

I feed my older one (6 inches and no longer growing) every other day. My younger one is 7 inches and still growing so gets a meal a day. I only feed them whole, live earthworms at the moment

I have two five year olds, three 2.5 year olds and um more babies than I can handle at 2-3 inches! Adults get fed twice a week with around three decent sized worms each, babies with bloodworms daily.

I feed my axies every 3 days and I usually let them eat as much as they want to. I find it suits my axies best. They're now 7 months old and around 22-24 cm (haven't measured them recently).

These are the instructions I got from the breeder when I got my axies:
"Feeding frequency depends of the animal's size:
1cm to 7-8cm: twice a day
7-8cm to 10cm: every day
10cm to 12cm: five times a week
12cm to 16cm: three times a week
16cm to 22cm: two times a week
Over 22cm: once a week
-Over 10 cm the amount of food to be given per times should be about the size of the animal's head."
I think axies should be fed daily until they are 12 months old, as they should still be growing until then. After that, every two or three days is the usual recommendation. Once a week seems a bit sparse! Two or three earthworms per feed would seem an appropriate amount, though that depends on the size and appetite of the lotl and the size of the worms! If they are spitting food back up, you are feeding them too much. The rule is: an axie's tummy should be as wide as its head. Adjust the feeding accordingly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back