Axie feces

LoriML

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lori
Hi all.

Sorry but I have a weird question. but I'd rather know than not know. What does axie poo look like? The reason I ask is because I had fed mine meal works for a week or so when they weren't eating their frozen meat cubes. They're now eating their cubes nicely, but I'm not seeing much that resembles any animal poo I've ever seen. There is sometimes little bits that look like the red meat cubes, but I expected their "poo" to be darker in color, not red. Does this sound weird or normal? I am just concerned that maybe the worms didn't digest and are blocking them up. They're acting normal and still eating quite a bit daily, so the red poo is my only concern.

Thanks!

It depends on what you feed them and how big they are. Axolotl poops are formed in oval to bean shape looking sacs that can range from black, reddish brown to orange brown. If you don't collect them in time they may walk or swim over it which destroys the sac and spreads the poo everywhere.

Meat cubes are not a suitable staple, not are mealworms. I would suggest moving them to earthworms. Mammilian meat is hard to digest as well as having a higher fat content. Meal worms have chitin which can cause impaction and blockages. Earthworms are the best staple to provide an axolotl.

Ok thank you. The mealworms were sort of an emergency purchase because they weren't eating the meat cubes that I was given when I purchased them. I was becoming very worried because they weren't eating at all. Just took a little training and now they recognize the "tong" things I feed them with. So they definitely don't eat meal worms anymore. I didn't know there was a problem with the cubes though, so thank you. I'm not sure if my local pet store has them but I'll look and do research and see where I can find them.

How big/old are they? Sometimes when you first get them, or move them to a new tank they can be a little stressed and not want to eat. Mealworms can be okay as a treat or emergency.

You should be able to find worms are petshops, local fish shops, a Home Depot or even your garden if you aren't using pesticides. Make some mash potato, plop it on the ground and cover with wet newspaper. Come back in a few hours/ next day and catch what you can.

Check your local Walmart, sometimes they sell them back in the sports/outdoor section.

Thanks guys! They're doing good now. They sure do grow fast don't they! I'm excited to see what gender they are in a few months. One is growing a little faster than the other so I'm even more curious.

I'm definitely going to try to mashed potato trick! :D

I have a lot of birds and nests around now though so they may beat me to them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back