Branched gill?

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I understand that if an axolotls gills are damaged that sometimes with regeneration the gill may grow back branched but has anyone ever had it happen for no reason? I ask only because in the last month Leonard has grown not one but two branches off the same gill. This gill has never been injured and it wasn't at the time this occurred either, he's a year and a half and very healthy so I'm just a little confused by it, only thing I can figure is he's bored and wanted a new look.

My axie has a small branch off one of his gills. He was never injured and I got him when he was very young so I would have noticed if it was injured. I personally really like it!

I think it can be genetic. I have a couple siblings that have gill branches/ anomalies. They have not been injured, they just grew that way. I think it's adorable!

The funny thing is when Leonard was just a wee baby he lost one if his gills, it grew back curled which has always made him look funny and cute, it's the gill beside it that has sprouted branches really, it really makes the one side look so full and fluffy, if I can get a pic I will post it but he hates the camera, if I am ever lucky to snap a pic of him he always looks angry lol.

I have a wildtype with a branched gill that I assumed was from injury (I 'rescued' them from a very crowded tank with wild bubbles -_-). However, now some of this axie's offspring have branched gills too, which I know are not from injury as I would've noticed...

Here's my Leucy showing off her branched gill and her "special" back foot with 6 toes. The first gill always goes straight up, maybe to make room for the branched one? She likes to be unique !:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 320
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back