Coppers

darrylsampson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys I have a baby copper comingthis week and I am very excited!:) im curious tho with regard to breeding him later is there any other color other than copper that will produce coppers with him? normality I wouldn't think so but I'm very un familiar with the copper genes. thanks for the imput!

I was under the impression that copper axolotls are not currently available in the US and the ones being sold as such do not display this trait.

No, I'm pretty sure Shrom has coppers, though he's the only breeder I know of in the US who does.

I think that you wouldn't see any coppers in the offspring unless you bred your copper with an axolotl who is at least heterozygous for the copper gene. There are a few of those around, but I'd be concerned that the breeding pair would be very closely related, given that there are so few breeding pairs of coppers in the US.

I don't think enough coppers have been imported to the US yet, in order for us to have a reasonably diverse breeding pool. Of course, they're going to be somewhat related, but still…

Congrats on your copper, though!

thanks for the info and I found my copper from the axolotl. net and the breeder had imported his breeder coppers from out of the country. I may talk to she ok about getting a het copper for future breeding plans

Ah. From that website.

I have to ask, have you done all your research on how to properly care for an axolotl? That website's "care" section is very lacking and some the information is flawed...

um we already own five axolotls and have 17 baby ones that we're raising so I'm pretty sure we know how to care for axolotls. Also we were recommended to go to that guy through someone on facebook who has previously bought from him and they are very pleased with their axolotls, so I think we're all set thanks.

There's really no need to be rude, it's just the site you linked isn't the most credible. There's been more horror stories than positive ones and their advice is ridiculous and incorrect. Embry was merely saying that you shouldn't take advice from that site and perhaps search elsewhere for correct information. He wasn't doubting your experience. How was he, or anyone, to know about how many axolotls you have or raised... This is a forum to educate people, and he was only trying to help.

right but I never said I took advice from the site at all, we only bought the axolotl from the site. This post was just a question about how to produce coppers, pretty simple

Indeed, there's no need to be snippy. You're new to the forum and have no listed reputation to indicate to me or anyone else that you have any experience with axolotls. There's nothing in plane sight to demonstrate that you guys already have prior knowledge, and nothing to indicate that you've gotten information from places other than that website.

I wasn't accusing you of not being informed, but was merely making sure that you had all the information you needed. Be fair; the only source of information we've seen mentioned here takes you to a page that says there's "no need" to cycle your tank, and that completely neglects to mention safe temperatures.

On this forum, we've run across plenty of people who haven't done their research, and we can only tell by picking up hints and clues, or by asking up front. We're just making sure that all the animals are healthy and that everyone has the information they need.

You'll find that rudeness doesn't get you very far on this forum.

Once again, congrats on your copper.

The guy from that site was banned from caudata.org

To produce coppers you need to breed copper to copper, copper to het copper, or het copper to het copper.
With copper to copper all of the offspring should be copper.
With copper to het copper half of the offspring will be copper and half will be het.
With het copper to het copper 1/4 of the offspring will be copper, 1/4 will be wild type, and 1/2 will be het copper.
With the het X het breeding you will have no way to tell which offspring are het and which are wild and not carrying the copper recessively (het).

well we've both been on here for a while now and have posted multiple times and commented on multiple posts so it wouldn't be that hard to see that we're informed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back