Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice with air pump please

dazm2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was just wanting to no how long do you's have you air pump on during the day and night?
Thanks

Xenurine

Reaction score
I don't ever turn mine off either. The bubbles help provide a constant flow of oxygen in to the water, your tank will be a lot healthier if you keep the air stone running.

dazm2020

Reaction score
Ok thank you I'll take the timer off and give it a try been on all the time.?

keiko

Reaction score
I have mine on for 12 hours a day. I found it impossible to sleep with the noise so I bought a timer for it. The bubbles don't really provide much oxygen anyway, it's got more to do with the bubbles moving the water on the surface and that way getting more oxygen in the water. I have my spray bar directed across the surface so that will move the water enough anyway. Some people don't use airstones at all and their oxygen levels are still ok, it's often really more for show.

dazm2020

Reaction score
Ok thanks my tank is in the kitchen dinner so the sound doesn't make any difference for me but I can understand not having it on if it's in your room :)
I'm just trying to get my tank running better as lizzy keeps on floating due to gulping air the water levels are ok from doing tests everyday. So I thought it may be due to not enough oxygen in the water but had the pump on for 24hours now and still no change ;-(

auntiejude

Reaction score
Some axies actually like to float and gulp air - as long as she's not floating on her side or back she's fine.

dazm2020

Reaction score
Yeah I read a thing that said that but you can see sometimes when she's doing it she seems to be panicking trying to get back down and hitting off the glass its hard to explain but she doesn't seem happy when she does this I'd understand if it was once in a while but it's every day and most of the day at the moment. The only way she calms down is of I change a bucket of water or bring her water level down even more but her tank is only about 10inchs deep already.
I've tryed finding someone local that knows more about these but I can't seem to find anyone. I've had her a long time now aswell (about 8-9year) so don't no if it's something with her age.
It's a hard one,as far as I no everything is right so it doesn't make sence.

kcoscia

Reaction score
If she seems better with the lower water level, why not keep it that way?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1