Baby update!

Meggersxoxo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Woot! They babies have been hatched for a couple of days now. Out of the 20 eggs (3 never developed) I have 14 babies. Everyone seems to be eating well. They will all be separated once they get their front legs.

Attachments

• DSC01755.jpg
    DSC01755.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC01760.jpg
    DSC01760.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC01758.jpg
    DSC01758.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC01759.jpg
    DSC01759.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC01763.jpg
    DSC01763.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01766.jpg
    DSC01766.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 139
They will all be separated once they get their front legs.

Why? There is really no need to keep them all separate if they have plenty of room, and TBH 14 tubs to do water changes for is a lot of work. I would keep them in 2 groups in 5L containers - less work and plenty of room.

I firmly believe that axies that are raised in individual tubs are more prone to biting each other when they are eventually put together as they don't learn about 'playing nice' - I raise mine in groups of 8-10 and very rarely have any significant injury unless there is a difference in growth rate (I had 58 babies this time - only one has lost limbs and has been segregated, but he is the 'runt' of the group)

Thanks for the tips and info AuntieJude!! I'll do that instead. I saw several people raising the babies in individual containers. I would much rather have them in actual setups with filters and live plants.

Why? There is really no need to keep them all separate if they have plenty of room, and TBH 14 tubs to do water changes for is a lot of work. I would keep them in 2 groups in 5L containers - less work and plenty of room.

I firmly believe that axies that are raised in individual tubs are more prone to biting each other when they are eventually put together as they don't learn about 'playing nice' - I raise mine in groups of 8-10 and very rarely have any significant injury unless there is a difference in growth rate (I had 58 babies this time - only one has lost limbs and has been segregated, but he is the 'runt' of the group)

I totally agree. I had previously thought that you absolutely had to separate them when they get their front legs, but my experience with my own has been if you give them sufficient space and keep them well fed, you usually will not have any problems with cannibalism.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back