Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping Axolotls in Canada

kjnorman

Reaction score
As far as I can tell from Canada Post's website, shipping animals like axolotls in the mail is not allowed, yet I know that some breeders ship within the country.

I am looking to ship some axolotls across the border to the states - has anyone else from Canada done this? Any helpful advice?

Thanks.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You would need a CITES permit, an export permit, and a usfw import permit. Fees would start at about 300.00 if you could wade through the paperwork.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
As stated above to answer your question, however as per canada posts website it says that cold blooded animals that are non poisonous are allowed to be shipped but you must clearly state on the box so and they need to be packaged in accordance to their procedures

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Live small cold-blooded non-poisonous animal specimens
All of the following requirements must be met when packaging live small cold-blooded non-poisonous animal specimens:

must be free from disease
must be mailed via Expedited Parcel or Regular Parcel services and shipped between April 1 and October 31
all items are mailed at the customer’s risk; no coverage for loss or damages is available for this type of mail
all shipments must be clearly identified with the notation “LIVE SMALL COLD-BLOODED NON-POISONOUS ANIMAL SPECIMEN”
must be dropped off at a Canada Post facility
must only be mailed if the expected delivery time is within 3 consecutive business days (excludes weekends and statutory holidays)
must be less than 25 cm in size
must not require food, water or attention during handling in the mail
must not emit obnoxious odours (examples of accepted creatures are: worms, frogs, salamanders, lizards, snails and tadpoles)
Snakes, turtles, baby alligators and caimans are not acceptable, nor any warm-blooded animals.

DogLady0142

Reaction score
You would need a CITES permit, an export permit, and a usfw import permit. Fees would start at about 300.00 if you could wade through the paperwork.
I'm in process of trying to do this. Any tips? I contacted Canadian authorities no problem, but the American side hasn't replied and it's been about a month. The breeder is willing to send me one, but I have to do the legwork.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1